Repairing a broken Arduberry

Hi

Ouch … that was my fear. Do you think I could repair it by changing the ATMEGA328P? Is it enough to buy a new blank component or should it be preprogrammed with a special bootloader ?

Do you know how I could test my AVR ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi,
You can get some ATMega328’s from Mouser http://www.mouser.in/ProductDetail/Atmel/ATMEGA328P-PU/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtVoztFdqDXO6rEZqxeooRg, desolder and remove the old one (It would be pretty hard). And solder the new one. After that you can simply use it with the Raspberry Pi. We don’t use a bootloader on the Arduberry so the only thing needed to be done is to burn the fuse but that should be pretty straightforward.

-Karan

Hello Karan,

Thanks for your response !

Well, I’ve ordered a new blank ATMEGA328P, I’ll receive it next week.

There’s a IC socket for it on my Arduberry, so no need to desold.

I’m a little confused about the “fuse”. I’ve found some informations on this site :

http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc

But it’s still a little unclear for me. Do you know where I could find more precise directions about what to do for burning fuse(s) ? Do I have to build some specific electronic assembly for that ? I’m going to read Atmel specs for trying to better understand this.

Many thanks by advance.
Best regards
Eric

Hi,
The fuse settings are:
LFuse: 0xFF
HFuse: 0xDA
EFuse: 0x05

Put the new chip on the Arduberry, note the orientation of the old one before you put the new one in.

Once it’s properly mounted, run: avrdude -c gpio -p m328p. The chip should be detected.

Next burn the fuses one by one:
avrdude -c gpio -p m328p -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m
avrdude -c gpio -p m328p -U hfuse:w:0xDA:m
avrdude -c gpio -p m328p -U efuse:w:0x05:m

Once all three are done, your Arduberry is ready to be used.

-Karan

Ok ! I let you know when I’ll receive my new chip and perform the handling. Thanks again.

Best regards
Eric

Hello,

Well, I received my new chip this morning. After exchanging it my Arduberry is now working !

Many thanks for all the advices.
Best regards
Eric