Robot Character For My ROSbot

The choices were:

1. $39 “Fire Alarm Bee-Do” looks too small on ROSbot
  2. “Fire Alarm Bee-Do” looks good on ROSbot
  3. $8 Same size “Tux” would also look too small
  4. Tux would look great on ROSbot
  5. There has to be something better

I really didn’t understand how small a 4 inch character is, and for $39? I think Fire Alarm Bee-Do is cute, and plays to the Li-Ion battery, but I’m having serious buyer’s remorse here. Fire Alarm Bee-Do is on his way back and Tux is on the way.

1 Like

I would have gone for answer #2, but I agree I don’t know that they look $39 good.

Regarding the screen-thingy. You had mentioned using some sort of converter to provide power to the lidar. I would have guess that that was it, but it looks like USB going in and out, which doesn’t seem to jibe with the 10.29 volt reading

/K

1 Like

That’s my volts/amps/mAh/watts/mWh/timer USB A, C, micro in/out “thingy”.

The LIDAR 5v is here:

I had it in the junk box so it was cheaper for me than ordering a new battery with the switched 5v USB. (The supply also has a logic level (0v) “disable 5v” input for future flexibility.)

2 Likes

Definitely makes sense to use what you already have. Especially if it gives you extra flexibility.
/K

1 Like

Carl (right) sits for a family portrait with his new brother: “Dave The GoPiGo3 ROS2 Robot” (left)

2 Likes

Do these characters have pre-defined names?

(i.e. is the one with one eye always Carl?" Note: I never saw the movie.)

1 Like

These are some of the “minions” of which we know their names - either from the voice credits or the toy marketing:

(Looking at the chart, Robot Carl looks more like Minion Stewart than Minion Carl, but don’t tell Robot Carl…)

2 Likes

It looks like three pairs to me.

What’s with the goggles?

You have mentioned grand kids. Sit down with them and say “Despicable Me” into your TV remote to see the 2010 original, or “Minions” to see the 2015 prequel.

"Minions have existed since the beginning of life on Earth, and desire above all else to serve the most terrible of villains" (not sure what that says about me creating my two minions…)

P.S. Goggles are required eye protection for factory workers

2 Likes

I had to go back and check - Carl is really Carl:

2 Likes

That assumes that you have a voice-remote, or even a TV. I have neither.

They would know more about Masha and the Bear (Маша и Медведь) than Despicable Me.

Look up Masha and the Bear. It is, (IMHO), the best a animated series of the post-Soviet era and has been translated into multiple languages and is a regular feature on several cable channels.

2 Likes

Ok - but Google claims it is available in Russian and English for streaming to your computer with Netflix International. Just saying.

2 Likes