Robot Sci-Fi: "Sea Of Rust"

wow, Wow, WOW!

I just finished an absolutely amazing, intriguing, enlightening book written from the vantage point of a dying, renegade, autonomous robot in a post-singularity world. It is both emotion and thought provoking beyond expectations.

2 Likes

Sounds interesting, but I don’t think I’m going to have the cycles to read that anytime soon.  I have a bunch of Terry Pratchet on my list and an e-copy of The Pro Git Book that needs reading. . . .

Depending on what reviews you read, it’s either a wannabe AI novel that hasn’t found a direction or a knock-out blockbuster that hits so hard your ancestors feel it!  Based on the descriptive summary, it sounds like a bit of both.  One thing I’ll give the author that blunts one of the chief criticisms:  It’s hard to create a world of AI robots within a book that humans are supposed to read without anthropomorphizing a bit.  I Robot?  Maybe not.  Possibly interesting and worth a read, absolutely.

2 Likes

Thanks - I just got the Kindle version. It’ll be my next read after finishing my current book.

Have you read the Murderbot Diaries series by Martha Wells? It’s won multiple awards. Not about robots per-se but rather an android/cyborg. Funny wiht a very dry sense of humor, and thought provoking as well.
/K

2 Likes

Yes indeed. The first book was tremendous, the subsequent books were very good, but the last left me feeling like enough. (Since the first book was so very good, I didn’t think twice when book 2 asked for $11. That book was good but so short I felt ripped off. Luckily the rest were available from my library.)

1 Like

Yeah, the price was a bit steep for a novella. Ditto for the audiobooks - but the audiobooks are really well done. I’ve enjoyed the entire series.
/K

2 Likes