[SOLVED] Distance Sensor and Servo problems

Just caught your “servo connected the wrong way” comment (attention divided between you and Winkler, Shantner, Foreman, and Bradshaw on "Better Late Than Never). Flipped the plug over and I can move the servo!

Basically it looks like I need to keep tinkering with the 1.2 update until it cooperates. Going to call it a night and tackle the other four Sith lords tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your help so far.

1 Like

If the servo doesn’t jitter on power up, then it’s not connected properly, or it’s defective.
The yellow cable should be near the back of the GoPiGo3, and the brown near the front when using Servo1 port.

As for the image, you need to use Etcher to burn it to an SD card. Etcher takes care of unzipping it for you.

Cleo

Thought I’d try Etching a new SD card again before I get started updating my fleet. When I select the ZIP file I downloaded I get an error.

10 AM

Okay, I think this thread is finally drawing to a conclusion. First, thank you very much for sticking with me so patiently as I worked through my issues.

I do think I failed to answer a question you asked earlier. I have no idea if the PI boards are PI 3s. I can’t see well enough through the acrylic. I bought the classroom set back in August if that helps.

My fleet is updated. After doing the other four here’s the best practice I found.

1. Load the update ZIP file on a flash drive and insert into the GPG.
  2. Power up the GPG and let it do it’s thing. It is finished when the blinkers quit flashing and the WiFi light on the top front center glows steady.
  3. Power down. When the GPG has powered down as far as it will there will be a steady red light on the back of the PI board with a green light flashing occasionally next to it. There will also be a blue light flashing on the red board next to the power button. At that point UNPLUG the battery pack.
  4. Plug the batteries back in and power up. You should be good to go.

Everything seems to be working. Browser performance is snappy. I get distance readings. The servo moves. I think I’m good.

Things I’d like to know in closing:

• I’m still curious why “etching” a new SD card isn’t working for me. Not terribly important, but still, I’d like to know what I’m doing wrong.
  • Am I correct in assuming that the best way to align the servo so that it is looking straight forward is to run the center command and then make an adjustment by loosening the small Phillips screw underneath?
  • Is there a manual online?
  • Are there copies of the lessons online?

You are indeed right. Those are the correct steps to update. I’ve double checked what we say on our website and it was not up to date. It now is, thanks for bringing it up!

1. I’m not sure about the file. I have seen it happen a few times with people who are on Mac. At this moment, I don’t recall how they got around it. I’ll investigate and come back to you. In the meantime, I would try another download, but I’m not a Mac person.

2. I align my servos manually, but I do think you’re coming up with an even easier approach! I like it! I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

3. There is no manual per se, but you can take a look at https://studio.dexterindustries.com/ (some free and paid activities there)

4. The lessons aren’t available online for the moment. We didn’t know if they made sense since if you’re online that means you don’t have a GoPiGo to start testing.

Cleo

1 Like

On aligning the servo, I took that apart and found the little plastic shaft has splines so fine tuning the direction this way is out.