[SOLVED] GoPiGo3 only executing one command in Bloxter - GoPiGo OS 3.0.2?

Hello,
I recently upgraded our GoPiGo3 to the newest GoPiGo OS 3.0.2. Our problem is with Lesson 1: To and Fro in Bloxter. It only accepts the 1st command. It does not drive backward. I can turn on the eye’s but none of the driving commands work after the 1st command.

Has anyone encountered and overcome this issue?

Screenshot

3 Likes

Which robot and which version of the Pi?

Would you please post the screenshot direct to the forum instead of a site requiring registration and login just to view the one picture?

Attempting todownload the picture gives me a blank page that never updates.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Jimrh,
How do I find the robot and version of Pi I have? I have updated the link to the screenshoot. Does that help?

Isn’t the name of the robot GoPiGo3? How can I find the version of the Pi?

3 Likes

OK - I reproduced this behavior. Indeed immediate drive backward after drive forward does not backup.

But if I added a “Count 2 sec and then…” between them - I got it to backup.

@cleoqc, @jimrh : Is that new stop() that turns off the motors causing this behavior?

If I run the supposed code - it also does not backup.

import easygopigo3 as easy
import time

sensor_readings = None
gpg = easy.EasyGoPiGo3()

# start
gpg.forward()
time.sleep(1)
gpg.stop()
gpg.backward()
time.sleep(1)
gpg.stop()

But the “with count 1” code with weird space between the time.sleep and the (1) does work:

import easygopigo3 as easy
import time

sensor_readings = None
gpg = easy.EasyGoPiGo3()

# start
gpg.forward()
time.sleep(1)
gpg.stop()
time.sleep (1)                     <<<----- makes it work
gpg.backward()
time.sleep(1)
gpg.stop()

2 Likes

At the main screen (10.10.10.10) click the question mark:

2 Likes

Thanks for this. Indeed I was able to complete the same action and get the GoPiGo to backup. It will be a problem for people following the “Learn” programming because the “Time” parameter is not visible in the programming window.

3 Likes

Is it available when you select “Advanced Bloxter”? (I shut my bot off at the moment.)

2 Likes

Yes, it is. The parameter is also available in the “regular” Bloxter window. It is not available from the Learn module which limits the # of parameters available for simplified learning. Example, go to GoPiGo → Learn → Lessons in Bloxter → GoPiGo Getting Started → Lesson 1 (To and Fro) →
The other programming parameters are not in this module. So using the workaround won’t work here because there is no “Time” parameter to be set.

3 Likes

No.

It is necessary to add a pause - I had documented that behavior years ago when I started working with Bloxter.

I don’t remember if this is a general thing with other block-based languages, (like micro:bit’s blockly programmer), or not.

If there isn’t a pause available in the lesson than that’s a problem.  There should be a pause or the command should be a blocking command.

Nicole will have to weigh in on this. . . .

2 Likes

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It is indeed due to the change to the stop() method.

GoPiGoOS 3.0.2.1 coming up soon with a fix.

3 Likes

How so?  Now I’m upset! :sob: :wink:

2 Likes

Here’s a new image if you want to test it. It’s not officially released as it’s fresh off the press just now.
Internal testing will continue, but if you want to jump in, feel free to do so. I would definitely appreciate it!

Again, apologies for having released a version with such a bug.

https://dexteros.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/GoPiGo+OS/GoPiGo_OS_3.0.2_29_March_2022_Modular_Robotics.zip

3 Likes

I’ll take a look at it tomorrow.

I’m sorry I put such a bug into it!

What do you folks use as a test suite?

2 Likes

I’m downloading now to test on my GoPiGo3.

3 Likes

I am very thankful that you are taking the time to validate this bug fix. :star_struck:

2 Likes

IT WORKS!

I was able to drive forward 1 sec and backward 1 sec as per the lessons. Thank you for such a fast response and fix.

As my daughter and I move through the lessons we’ll let you know if we find any other issues.

2 Likes

thank you for the testing! We really should have caught this on our own, so apologies for this. We ran through a bunch of different tests, but the simple forward and back. DOH.

Say hi to your daughter from the team! We try to react quickly when we have reports like this. However our preferred way is support@modrobotics.com
Posting on the forum doesn’t mean we will see it in a timely manner. A special thank goes to @cyclicalobsessive who tagged me after he confirmed the bug.

4 Likes
  • Fixed: Bloxter Lesson 1 “drive forward 2 seconds then back to where it started”
2 Likes