[SOLVED] Login Screen Keeps Reappearing

I have a Grove Pi and every time I turn it on a login screen pops up. When I put in the user name and password it starts logging in then returns to the login screen. I added a path to the .profile file so I don’t know if this caused it.
There are a few failed messages when the boot screen runs but they go by too quickly to read.

Hi @heldg,

So we’re actually talking about the Raspberry Pi and not the GrovePi, aren’t we? If you have trouble logging in to your terminal (assuming it’s the terminal line and not the Desktop environment which automatically logs you in), then I’d probably say it’s easier to just re-burn the card and redo your environment.

I added a path to the .profile file so I don’t know if this caused it.

What do you mean by this? Can you elaborate?

There are a few failed messages when the boot screen runs but they go by too quickly to read.

If you have something that can record at 60-120 fps like a smartphone, I’d use that to see what it’s printed out during the boot. Maybe even 30fps should be good.

Thank you!

Yes it is the raspberry pi. I put it under the grovepi heading because the grovepi uses raspbian for robots instead of the default raspbian that would be used for non-grovepi projects. I guess I could have used raspbian for robots heading, but I thought grovepi would have been good enough.

I was using the default desktop environment and the default login stopped working. It would boot to a screen that asked for a user name and password, then when I typed in the correct user name and password return me to the same screen.

There was a directory that I was going to a lot so I added an export to the .profile file to save a path to that directory as a shell variable to be used with cd.

I figured out a way to get to the command line from the user name and password screen and deleted the line I added to .profile. Now when I restart it boots normally into the desktop. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed after 23 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.