[SOLVED] Robot turns when going backwards

The robot goes straight when going forward. Turns right (left when moving faster maybe) when moving back. I’m not sure why this happens. In order to make it go straight when going forward, I made the trim for the left motor as -25. That made it go straight when going forward. But it turns while going back. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks!!!

Hey,
Did you check that the motors are the problem and not the castor wheel or the surface you are running the GoPiGo on. We have not seen this problem before and from the looks of it, the castor wheel might be causing the GoPiGO to turn the other direction.

-Karan

I’m not sure what the cause could be. Are you suggesting that I oil the castor wheel? I tried running this on hardwood and carpet. On carpet it does not get enough traction. Hardwood was better in comparison. I have not tried it on concrete.

I have the same problem here.
I have set the let speed to 100 and the right speed to 150 and then its almost straight forward.
Another question: can you set one motor with the encoders?

Thanks

Hello gmnn, glad to know that the GPG goes forward straight. There’s no software reason why it would not be going straight backwards; this could as Karan points out be something dragging with the hardware. Either the caster, or a bolt dragging up against the side of the GPG. You might check that your wheels aren’t pinching the side of the body of the GPG.

I’m curious, did you set the trim on the GoPiGo, or does it go straight with no modification?

I pulled the wheels out a little and that seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks!!!

Great, glad this worked!