The future of reCAPTCHA

2 Likes

Cute. Let’s hope they remember us fondly.

1 Like

Apropos of that, I’m now about 2/3 through Sea of Rust. Still really enjoying it. At least some of the robots seem to remember humans fondly…
/K

2 Likes

I just finished “Three Laws Lethal”, David Walton, which is an autonomous car/machine learning savvy thriller. Includes quotes from many classic and contemporary SciFi (and tells from which so you don’t feel in the dark if you didn’t read or forgot in my case), which can add some to your to-read list.

Some ethics, philosophical and legal questions are presented well.

My only complaint with the book is that they didn’t name drop “The Lifecycle of Software Objects”, Ted Chiang which dealt with one of the issues in “Three Laws Lethal”.

2 Likes

Downloaded for listening - I just noticed it’s free with my Audible membership.

Read that a good while back - can’t say I’d remember the details well enough to recognize whether or not there was a nod to it. On the other hand I’d have to be pretty far gone not to notice the “Three laws” reference.

Also noticed that Cargill has a book that came out a year ago: Day Zero - apparently set in the same world as Sea of Rust. Reviews are mixed, but may have to give it a read.

/K

1 Like

Yes, I read it and enjoyed it. It had some good suspense and interesting approach in the “Carebot” concept. I also felt that it was not as powerful a story as Sea of Rust, a little simpler and straight line to it. It kept my interest high from start to end.

2 Likes