Trouble connecting gopigo

After following the video and written instructions we continue to get the following:
Novak-iMac-Dec:~ Karen$ ping dex.local
ping: cannot resolve dex.local: Unknown host
Novak-iMac-Dec:~ Karen$

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Sam and Dad

Hi sam, it looks like you’re using a Mac, so that’s a start.

Where are you in the instructions? How have you tried to connect to the GoPiGo so far? Are you connecting over ethernet successfully?

Thanks John,

We followed the instruction line by line all the way through. When it came to ping the robot, we got the previously listed error message. Ethernet is set up correctly, WiFi dongle is in, sd card is in, robot is switched on.

We shut down and repeated the process three times with the same result.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Sam (and Dad, Tom)
ou

When it came to ping the robot, we got the previously listed error message. Ethernet is set up correctly, WiFi dongle is in, sd card is in, robot is switched on.

So, I’m making the assumption you guys connected the Pi to the Mac over ethernet, is that correct? For some reason, your Mac isn’t finding the Pi. I have a few suggestions and questions:

• Do the Power and the ACT light come on?
  • Do the LED’s around the ethernet cable turn on and does one of them blink?
  • How are you powering the Raspberry Pi / GoPiGo?

I would try the following:

• Power the Raspberry Pi with the USB power adapter. If you didn’t buy one from Dexter Industries, be sure it supplies 2A.
  • Remove the wifi dongle.
  • Turn the wifi on your Mac off.

Please let me know about the questions and we can help further!

He samnovak, I’m sorry, I think Imight have mangled the process here. I just want to make sure we have followed up on your issue and not lost you.

OK,

I just can’t get this thing to connect.

We are trying to connect to an iMac. The wifi is off, the ethernet is selected. the view of the window is attached below.
The wifi doodle is in, the sc card is in, the ethernet cable is connected and the orange and green lights ar on and not blinking.
The Adapter is in and is powering the raspberry pi and the switch is on.

When we attempt to connect to the iMac e get this:

Last login: Sun Jan 10 11:39:33 on ttys000
Novak-iMac-Dec:~ Karen$

I’ve powered down, removed and replaced wifi dongle and sd card, but I get the same reply when I ping.

My 0 year-old is growing discouraged.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom, Sam’s dad.

Hi Sams Dad, I’m very sorry to hear your son is getting discouraged.

Wifi is actually on, looking at the picture you posted. You might have more success if you turn wifi off on your iMac. I would also try removing the wifi dongle, and booting the Pi without the wifi dongle placed.

Also, I’m not sure how you answered this question: “– Do the LED’s around the ethernet cable turn on and does one of them blink?” Are the LEDs around the ethernet port on or blinking?

Also, while I’m asking questions, do you have another computer you can try this on?