Usage of Raspberry Pi Prototyping Pins and I2C on GoPiGo

I was curious as to how the “Raspberry Pi Prototying Pins” shown in the “GoPiGo Top Side” image at http://www.dexterindustries.com/forum/?forum=gopigo can be used - haven’t been able to find any documentation on this. Being one to fiddle, I actually soldered some headers onto these pins and can see that at least some of them appear to work - for example I was able to hook up some sensors to these pins and get some of them to work (directly from the Pi but connected to the broken out pins on the GoPiGo).

I was mainly just curious as to if there were any limitations around which broken out pins can or can’t be used. It seems like some of of my sensors on broken out pins work, and others don’t (sorry I don’t have which ones offhand), but I can’t tell if that is because of GoPiGo limitations around those pins, or if it’s a problem with my soldering or something like that.

Another specific question I had was around the I2C pins. I bought an I2C gyroscope that I have been trying to connect to the broken out I2C Raspberry Pi pins, but haven’t had any luck getting it to work. Should this be possible? Or can I only use the I2C pins with the grove connection on the GoPiGo itself?

I really have enjoyed tinkering with the GoPiGo - thanks for any help you can offer!

Hey,
The prototyping pins on the GoPiGo are used to break out the IO pins from the Raspberry Pi so that they can be used with custom sensors. The pinout is same as that of the Raspberry Pi which you can see here: http://pi.gadgetoid.com/pinout . The main thing to be careful about would be that the IO work on 3.3V logic and if you have sensor that needs 5V logic, then it would be better to connect it to the grove connector since those are on 5V logic .

Great to hear that you liked the GoPiGo. Do share any exciting projects that you make with the GoPiGo with the community.

-Karan

If they line up with the gpio pins on the pi, can the pins and the pi header be relocated there to allow a better fit for the Pi 2? I have not found a solution to the odd angle that mine sits at. It works, but there has to be a better way. I’m only about three days in and i’m loving this little robot.

Hey,
You can try to relocate the pins there and see if it work out well for you (This should be helpful: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1112). We had tried and tested a couple of configurations with the Pins and the current one turned out to be the best for both the Model B and well as B+ and Pi2.

DO let us know if you are able to find a better way to connect the Pi2 and be a bit careful when you are connecting the header so that you don’t accidentally connect the Pi2 to the wrong Pin or invert the connections.

-Karan

How can use these pins? I mean should I solder the wires? I am not able to put jumper cables as they are loose. the only way I see is that I have to solder. But I don’t want to solder…is there any otehr way?

Yes, you should solder wires, depending on the configuration you’re going for. Vijjuk, you’ve responded in a few places on the forums leaving a long trail of essentially the same question. It seems like you’re going to have to solder; from your other posts, you seem to want to something version customized. Good luck!