Using an old Canon Scanner power supply for the GoPiGo board?

I want to power my GoPiGo from an external power supply, but the information on the GoPiGo site is a bit confusing - on the Get Started -> Power Up page it says minimum 12v 2A, but on the Docs -> Technical Specs page it seems to say somewhere between 300-800 mA.

I’ve had a dig through my “old computer stuff” box and found an old Canon scanner power supply with output of 12v, 1.25A.

Will this be OK to power the GoPiGo, or do I risk “blowing it up”?! I’ve already noted the warning about getting the polarity right :slight_smile:

Thanks
Simon

Hey,
The GoPiGo runs on 9-12V and takes between 300-800mA depending on the speed but there might be current spikes upto 2A when you suddenly change the direction. I think a 12V 1.25A power supply should be good enough but wired power supplies are a bit restrictive for the GoPiGo and batteries usually are the best power source for it.

-Karan

Thanks for the advice. I’m happy to say I’ve now got an externally powered GoPiGo, and I haven’t blown it up :slight_smile:

External power is handy for playing with code without having the pressure of it running on expensive AA battery power. It’s nice to have the motors running etc so I can get immediate feedback if my code is working or not.