Wall-E Waiting For His Pi5 Robot

With the Pi5 arrived:

Wall-E.

Most likely the next bot, Wall-E, will be Create3 and Pi5 based. Create3 and TurtleBot4 are experiencing birthing pains equal or greater to my ROS 2 GoPiGo3 travails, so Wall-E is sitting around just watching for now.

2 Likes

That’ll be cool. Look forward to following along (presumably elsewhere as this is a GoPiGo not a Create3 forum???)
/K

2 Likes

True - When I finally break down - the no-connection-to-Carl-or-Dave Wall-E stuff will probably be over at the RobotShop Wall-E project blog that I started for the TurtleBot4 Wall-E. I have not found a Create3 “hangout”. They have a discussion area on github, where I have been conversing with a user planning to mate a Pi5 to his Create3.

While I would love a robot with built-in docking, wall-following, and bumpers, the reality is I would be at exactly the same learning SLAM spot with the Create3, so I am not jumping anywhere else fast.

And I am running full stress on my “cooler” Pi5 and seeing 2.5-3W idle and 7.2W full stress. That is 1.4A so perhaps there would actually be a way to put a Pi5 in a GoPiGo3. (With loss of software I2C and shorter playtimes). I don’t want to break Dave as a “same-as-everyone-elses” platform, so I would have to buy another GoPiGo3 instead of a Create3, and a third GoPiGo3 just is not a good plan.

2 Likes

It’s happening

2 Likes