Why I like robotics and the GoPiGo

I was re-reading the thread on killer-bots and nitro-methane infused monsters, and it got me thinking. . .

Within the context of the GoPiGo, I find my experiments in coding, hardware, etc., to be quiet interesting and fulfilling.

Why?

Within the context of my goals, (have fun and learn something), the GoPiGo meets my needs wonderfully.

• I get to have fun, and maybe contribute something.

• I get to watch others, especially the ROS research, and learn a lot from there.

• I get to interact with a bunch of nice people who share my interests.

• I have several 'bots, including a micro:bit 'bot from SparkFun. The SparkFun bot doesn’t impress me much as it looks like what it is: A bunch of snap-together pieces.

• The GoPiGo, on the other hand, looks like a real 'bot, and it can be modified as you wish.

In my own case, I may never get as far as programming in ROS, as GoPiGo O/S and R4R is difficult enough to keep me engaged.

However, I like reading about your efforts as it helps improve my own ideas about how to do things.

A Jetson Nano on the GoPiGo? Maybe, just for the heck of it, but I don’t see that becoming a major project any time soon - there’s still too much for me to learn with what I have.

As @cyclicalobsessive once said, it’s all about having fun and learning. And that is something the Dexter 'bots do admirably well.

What say ye?

1 Like

I agree with every one of your points (although my particular collection of robots is different). The GoPiGo3 is a good platform for learning and tinkering, and the forums have been a good community.
/K

1 Like