Will a PiCam v1.3 work on a GoPiGo kit with a Pi3?

dexteros
picamera

Ref: Related discussion at:

I tried the same tests, including a new, verified by Etcher, flash of Dexter 2.2.2, and get a slew of error messages ending in “Camera not detected”

Any attempt to use the camera programmatically results in the same error. I tried the tests in the previous post - the camera is “enabled” but none of the functional tests worked.

Any available guidance would be gratefully appreciated.

Jim “JR”

I received that once. Solution for me was to reseat the cable into the connectors at both ends, all the way in and blue stripe on the proper side. A bit of a pain, because I had to remove the top plate and disassemble/reassemble the 40 pin connector of the GoPiGo3.

Hi @jimrh,

Just strictly thinking of your question: I had tested a Pi Camera v1.3 on DexterOS and it worked for me. And yes, I have to concur cyclicalobsessive’s comment in that you have to check if the cable is plugged in correctly.

Thank you!

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. ( :wink::wink::wink: )

That was one of the first things I tried. I also looked at the tiny connector right above the camera itself to make sure it was plugged in correctly. (Though I might just un-plug it to re-seat it and make sure there’s a solid connection.)

I have another Pi-3 laying around somewhere and I might just pull it out of storage and give it a try.

In any event, you’ve told me what I needed to know - version is not an issue.

Let me play and we’ll see what happens.

Thanks!

Jim “JR”

Update:
Found a Pi-2B, installed the camera, launched Raspbian (stretch) Sudo’d to root, did an apt-get update, upgrade, and dist-upgrade. Note that everything I’m doing I am doing as root. (to avoid any potential permissions issues)

Went into RaspiConfig as the default user, turned on the camera, saved out and rebooted.

Tried the "raspistill -o test.jpg test as root. No joy.

Note that the first time I run that, a red LED lights up on the camera for a few seconds. Subsequent tries do NOT light the LED until rebooted.

I get the following error:

root@raspberrypi:~# raspistill -o test.jpg
mmal: Cannot read camera info, keeping the defaults for OV5647
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not detected. Please check carefully the camera module is installed correctly

root@raspberrypi:~# 

This is on a different board with a different O/S (Raspbian).
I’ve checked cables carefully.
I have carefully visually inspected the cable itself for kinks, loops, or breaks in the flex-traces.

The cable is installed thusly:

• Cable is plugged into the Raspberry Pi with the blue spacing/stiffening shim facing toward the audio jack. (facing away from the HDMI port.
  • Cable is plugged into the camera so that the blue stiffener is facing AWAY from the PCB.

Hi @jimrh,

You know, I’ve had this problem once too, but with the 2nd generation of the Pi Camera - after some time I realized it’s burned and had to replace it.

Did you also try seeing what the output of vcgencmd get_camera is?

Thank you!

Not yet. I’m rapidly coming to the conclusion that either the camera or the cable is toast.

Jim “JR”