BrickPi 3 + Rpi 4

I want to use Rpi 4 for my project and wondering if BrickPi 3 will be compatible with it. Are they both compatible?

1 Like

I’m not sure what operating system you’re thinking of using for the BrickPi, but you have to use one based on Buster as anything earlier won’t work on the Pi-4.

Raspbian for Robots has a 12/12/2019 “experimental” version based on Buster that works just wonderfully. I am using it on my GoPiGo-3 and I believe it works on the BrickPi too.

That is the latest R4R release so far, and it works on both the Pi-4 and the Pi-3, (at least), so you won’t loose backward compatibility if you decide to go back to a Pi-3.

Let me know what you decide to do.

Hello @gargi.arya07

The brickPi3 is compatible with the Pi4.
However, as @jimrh mentionned, your OS is important.

While we have a Raspbian for Robots, Buster out and available, it will not support the Pi4 - 8G which came out afterwards. It will support other versions of the Pi4.

None of the Stretch-based options will work with a Pi4. My recommendation would be to start with whatever OS the Raspberry Pi Foundation is offering, and install the BrickPi3 libraries on it.

Use this command to install

curl -kL dexterindustries.com/update_brickpi3 | bash
1 Like

Thanks @jimrh @cleoqc for excellent advise. I would go with Pi-4 -4GB and will try your suggestions with buster.

1 Like

Why not? Is the 8g that much different?

Yes, the 8G requires the newest Raspberry Pi OS and won’t boot on previous OSes.

1 Like

I’ll have to download one 'o-the latest and try to build RFR on it - once my taxes get done!