Don't upgrade Raspbian when installing BrickPi drivers

It appears the latest Raspbian code is bad and will result in a broken X windows if you do sudo apt-get upgrade.

I did this twice last nite and both times it ended up breaking x windows. It might break other stuff too, so if you run the install script, comment out apt-get upgrade. Hopefully Raspbian will fix these issues soon.

peter

I got this error when run the python script…

pi@pi ~ python temp.py Traceback (most recent call last): File "temp.py", line 57, in <module> thermometer() File "temp.py", line 22, in thermometer BrickPiSetup() # setup the serial port for communication File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/BrickPi-0.0.0-py2.7.egg/BrickPi.py", line 660, in BrickPiSetup ser.open() File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 276, in open raise SerialException("could not open port %s: %s" % (self._port, msg)) serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port /dev/ttyAMA0: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/dev/ttyAMA0' pi@pi ~

yapkoloi, I think you need to run sudo before you run that code. So you should use

sudo python temp.py

I did more experimenting this weekend. I still don’t know what part of “apt-get upgrade” breaks xwindows on Raspbian, but running sudo apt-get update is fine. I’ve confirmed that v4l-until, jpeg8, python-pygame and other packages are fine. Short of running upgrade again, I’m not sure how to really zero in on the real cause without spending a ton of time.

I think I’m going to wait until raspberry pi foundation release a new official image instead of spending days or weeks figuring out what breaks in the latest code with upgrade.