Getting Started with BrickPi and Mac

Dear Administrator,

Apologies for confusion. The second RPi I bought originated from Dexter Industries. But it was messed up by my mistake. So management kindly sent me a new SD card via the Amazon store.

This card I had to update according to help from a Dexter Ind. administrator, all info on the Dexter website FORUM pages, I believe. At this point I have still not been able to get the RPi (BrickPi) to respond to … anything. The lights on the Pi all do flash, which I take as a good sign.

Hmmm, the BrickPi does not move… maybe I need to program it first ?

But that does not explain why I can Not get the RPi to answer my many PING attempts.

The mechanical aspects of the new RPi SD card socket and the new card don’t seem right. I have to push hard to get the card seated in the socket. The other RPi that I bought from a different source ( Not Dexter Industries ) works smoothly when placed and removed from the socket.

The behavior of the Dexter bought card does not seem right. There appear to be two or more labels pasted on the card; it seems a little bulkier.

Best regards,

raspAT

PS. No, my first RPi purchase was from another vendor, NOT Dexter Industries. It works fine.

PPS
Both the Dexter-bought SD card and RPi SD Card socket do not seem to have been produced correctly.

I moved this over from the other thread since it wasn’t relevant.

At this point I have still not been able to get the RPi (BrickPi) to respond to … anything. The lights on the Pi all do flash, which I take as a good sign.

Good. The Pi turns on. Do you have any idication that the Raspberry Pi does not work? If the lights are flashing, that’s usually a good sign.

Hmmm, the BrickPi does not move… maybe I need to program it first ?

Indeed, to get the BrickPi to move, programming must be done.

But that does not explain why I can Not get the RPi to answer my many PING attempts.

How are you attempting to connect to the Pi? Wifi? Ethernet? Have you tried hooking up a monitor to make sure the card is booting?

The mechanical aspects of the new RPi SD card socket and the new card don’t seem right. I have to push hard to get the card seated in the socket. The other RPi that I bought from a different source ( Not Dexter Industries ) works smoothly when placed and removed from the socket.

This is quite troubling. We buy the Pi’s from Newark, the folks that make the Pi. (WE make the BrickPi by the way, which you seem to want to user interchangeably here). Maybe you can attach a picture of the Raspberry Pi with the SD card in it, with the problems you describe in the quotes above?

The behavior of the Dexter bought card does not seem right. There appear to be two or more labels pasted on the card; it seems a little bulkier.

Still not sure what you mean by “seem right”. We take cards, burn the image to them, and put a label over the card manufacturers label. I might be missing your point here?

To take a step back, let’s try connecting to the Pi first. It seems you’re using a Mac, did you have trouble following our Mac-specific directions here: http://www.dexterindustries.com/BrickPi/getting-started/using-the-pi/connect-to-your-raspberry-pi-from-a-mac/
?

If so, which step went wrong?

I saw you posted on another thread about this. Just trying to keep it clean, so I’m going to paste your reply here:

Sorry for the delay, but I have been trying many things to get RPi working completely. Many thanks for your assistance.

It turns out that both of my RPis seem to be working as they should with my antique Mac Mini OS X 10.4.11. Hooray! for that.

Can’t get either one to work with MacBookPro. I just upgraded it to Yosemite – OS X 10.10, hoping that will help.

The Ethernet connection shows a yellow button, but states, “Ethernet self-set IP address”, may not be exact quote.

Internet Sharing is set to “on”. Tried many times.

The SD card seems to be working nominally, at least on the venerable Mac Mini. I think I finally wore the card (or socket) down with multiple cycles of insertion/removal, so that pushing it into slot doesn’t pull the lock mechanism down. (my guess).

So… I have tried using the instructions on your web page for MacBookPro several times with the same results: Both RPis work fine with Mac Mini 10.4.11 – not at all with MacBookPro 10.6.8 and now 10.10.

I’d like to get the latter working because I want to move around with the BrickPi, once I program it.

Best regards,
RaspAT

Glad to hear that they’re working!

As for getting the connection on the new version of Mac . . .

So… I have tried using the instructions on your web page for MacBookPro several times with the same results: Both RPis work fine with Mac Mini 10.4.11 – not at all with MacBookPro 10.6.8 and now 10.10.

Were you able to find the settings for your wired adapter on the new Mac? If so, is the IP address set to configure automatically? Can you please post a screenshot of your wired adapter/network screen?

Also, just to confirm, you’re trying to connect to your Mac directly: an ethernet cord directly between your Pi and your Mac ethernet port?

“Wired adapter” ? That may be exactly what is needed. And yes, I’ve been trying to connect directly from RPi or BrickPi via an ethernet cord to MacBook Pro.

I can supply a photo if it would help.

Thanks.

Good. I think the problem might be in your setup. I’ve already posted a link to what we have to walk mac folks through. What I mean to ask for is a screenshot of what Step 2 in the directions (2. Setup your Ethernet Preferences) looks like for you.

Been working hard to get this sorted.

Bought a Thunderbolt wired adapter for MacBook Pro Ethernet port. Apparently, that did NOT help. Apple Store kindly told me I could get a full refund (within 14 days) if it did not work. It did not work.

Tried using the info on Max Li Bin’s web page. That DID work for me - it was a thrill to see the
Raspberry Pi prompt on the screen of MBPro - shortly thereafter my laptop started to go “wonky” so I did recovery work on Mac Book Pro.

I give up. Planning to buy a Monitor for RPi.

Meanwhile my poor long-suffering BrickPi currently exhibits a warning, and both an indication that “fcsk” is required and a warning against using “fcsk”.

And thank you for your responses.

RaspAT