Give your 'bot ears?

I read an interesting article today about MEMS microphones, their small size and low current draw, and a host of other advantages over other microphone technologies.

The article was published on Hackster.io, an interesting site that showcases various manufacturers items.

Today’s article was about a MEMS stereo microphone board that plugs in via USB, and I thought it might be interesting.

You can read about it here:

They didn’t give a sensitivity fig. I’m actually trying a new mic (well it’s on my to do list anyway).

Carl has some accuracy challenges sitting on the floor recognizing words in grammar from a standing human speaking in normal home conversation levels.

I saw a far field array mic with 6 or 8 of these MEMS mics, but it doesn’t integrate well with Carl’s layout.

1 Like

I was thinking that you could make a small hole on each side of Carl’s head.

I didn’t see a price either, though it looked interesting.

Perhaps there’s a different mic you could use?

1 Like

P.S.
Micro Center has Google kits in a little box to make things like voice-recognition with a Pi. They contain an audio hat, a speaker, and a stereo i2c mic. board.

And the whole enchilada for less than a cheapo Pi. ($14 last I checked, less on sale, and I believe you can order them online.)

The audio board supports stereo if you cut a jumper and add an inexpensive second channel audio board that solders onto preexisting header pads. If you don’t want/need stereo, you’re golden.

Note that I think it uses i2c for sound. Since I don’t remember the i2c address, I don’t know if there are any conflicts.

1 Like

May 2017 - Lesson learned: “Google __fill_blank__ API” changes continually.

GoogleVoiceKit_MagPi

1 Like