GoPiGo OS Beta1 Discussion

While it doesn’t bring back the battery voltage indicator, I am adding this block

It’s not in this version (it was literally born 5 min ago) but will be in the next one.

2 Likes

Can we have the patch to include it in this version?

One of the things that I would like to be able to do is create blockly program statement tiles for functionality that may not exist.

1. Is that possible? (Of course it is)
  2. Is there any documentation on how to create them, aside from the article you wrote awhile ago in micro:mag for the Microsoft block editor?

This may be more general than Chromium. On the Remote Camera Robot code, whenever you start/restart the streaming server, you have to reload the page with the video stream in both Firefox and Chrome before the video will work.

Assuming that you are using a similar streaming server here, I would expect a similar behavior.

Got my new motor installed - decided to test it with the Beta.
I kept the Lidar disconnected so it didn’t cause problems, and temporarily mounted the IMU in back as indicated.

Drive screen - I’m on a laptop with Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic. When I connect to the GoPiGo wifi I get a “hotspot login” screen with everything showing, so I didn’t need to connect with Chrome. I did end up closing the login screen and using Chrome (not Chromium).

Drive screen works fine. Camera works. Control buttons on browser work, and arrow keys/space bar works. All the lights work.

File screen comes up fine. I didn’t try renaming the robot.

Learn - Bloxter
I have the IMU attached to AD2. The Bloxter program example runs fine after I calibrated the sensor - it prints the correct direction for 10 seconds. The calibration instructions suggest that the Sensor Control Panel will start showing IMU readings after enough data are gathered, but nothing is showing.

The camera worked fine when I was driving, but when I click the Camera icon on the Sensor Control Panel I go to 10.10.10.10/photos on a new tab with the message “If you’re not seeing any photos you need to make sure a USB key is inserted in the Raspberry Pi (green board) of your robot.” I do have the USB key that came with my robot in a USB port. I can sftp into the robot, and see the USB key, so the Raspberry Pi knows it’s there. So I’m not sure why I’m getting this message. USB is formatted in fat32 if that matters. And I do get the USB icon on the top bar (between the stop sign and the question mark).

Distance sensor “Don’t crash” program worked fine

Learn Python
Seems to take a long time for the Jupyter notebook screen to load and it’s not clear that anything is happening. I get the same directory error as cyclicalobsessive of course. The Jupyter notebook does open with the File Browser left sidebar open - don’t know if that was intentional, but might be confusing for newbies.

Code Bloxter and Advanced Bloxter seem to come up fine- didn’t really test the options.

Code Python pulls up the same Jupyter Notebook first lesson as “Learn -> Python” pulls up. I suspect that’s a known issue with the beta, but am mentioning it in case it isn’t.

If I used Bloxter primarily it looks pretty good (except for the camera/photos page and the fact that no data show on the sensor control panel).

Hope that helps. Happy to try anything specific you’d like tested. And happy to try the next beta. Otherwise it’s back to ROS now that I’ve got my motor fixed. :robot:
/K

2 Likes

What happens if you remove the USB key and re-insert it? I think there’s a timing issue if the USB is already in when booting up. Something for me to look at, so thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

When I remove the USB key the USB symbol disappears from the top bar. When I reinsert the key the logo shows up again after a few seconds. But I get the same error message then when I click the Camera icon and I get taken to the /photos page. This was after booting with the key in place.

I tried booting without the key. Got the same results after inserting the USB key. Tried with a different USB key - same. The USB icon does show/disappear as I insert/pull the USB key.

/K

1 Like

Findings while testing with Charlie:

My system:

Windows 10 2004, 64 bit on a HP EliteBook 8570p Laptop with 16 gigs of RAM
Firefox 82.0.2 (64-bit) which is current as of this instant date.
Chrome 86.0.4240.183 (Official Build) (64-bit) which is current as of this instant date.
Microsoft Edge 86.0.622.63 (Official build) (64-bit) which is also current as of this instant date.
Internet Explorer 11.572.19041.0, update version 11.0.210 which is also current.

Charlie’s configuration:
Raspberry Pi:
Pi-4, 4gb, latest firmware.
Raspberry Pi Camera, V2, connected with a standard Pi ribbon cable.
V1 GoPiGo controller board, with v1.0 firmware.

Attached devices:
Dexter distance sensor, (with the eyes) in i2c port 1
Dexter “black-board” Line Following Sensor in parallel with the distance sensor on i2c port 1
Custom bumper contact switches configured as “Grove” normally closed switches on A/D-1
Dexter IMU sensor on A/D-2
Servos, used to control a pan-and-tilt mount for Charlie’s “head”, (the distance sensor)
Servo-1: “Pan” (left-and-right motion).
Servo-2: “Tilt” (up-and-down motion).

Software:
GoPiGo OS, version Beta-1, downloaded to Windows 10 and flashed to a Micro Center 64 gig SD card using Balena Etcher v1.5.73.

Preliminary Findings:
Note:
Unless specified otherwise, all tests were done using Firefox.
While running as a stand-alone device:

1. IMU sensor test appears to work correctly, at least with regard to the 8 points of the compass.
  2. “Blinkers” and “eyes” appear to work correctly.
  3. Motion was not tested

Discrepancies: 

1. UI Discrepancies:

1. There is no clear way to move backward between the various levels of the various pages.
      i.e. While in the Learn=>Learn Bloxter=>[any lesson], you cannot:
      a. Restart a lesson.
      b. Re-enable the text box lesson overlays without completely exiting the lesson.
      c. Move backward to another stage or lesson.
      d. Move backwards to the “Learn/Code” menu page.
      e. Move backwards to the opening menu.
      Note that there IS a way to do many of these things, (click on the GoPiGo icon, dig through the “help” menu, etc. - but these ways are essentially hidden or perhaps even “Easter Eggs” as they are totally non-intuitive.
      Ideally, there should be a clearly indicated way on each page to move backwards or undo what has been done.
    2. When selected, a selected item or button, (at least on the “Drive” page), does not change color or state to indicate being selected.

2. Functional Discrepancies on the “Drive” page;

1.While using Firefox, the camera image on the “Drive” page never worked correctly.
    When starting the page, the camera window would:
    a. Display “Setting up camera”
    b. Display a full-size image briefly than crop the bottom of the image to about 1/3 of the image, showing only the top 1/3
    c. Display a full-size image briefly than crop the bottom of the image to about 1/2 of the image, showing only the top 1/2
    d. Display a full-size image briefly than crop the bottom of the image to about 2/3 of the image, showing only the top 2/3
    e. Occasionally show a full-size image. I do not know if the image was frozen on the full-size image as I had a great deal of difficulty getting a full-size image.
    f. The image frame would be frozen after being cropped.
    g. I did not test motion.
    2. Using Chrome, the image worked as expected.
    3. Using Microsoft Edge, there was no response at all in the picture’s frame area. No messages, no picture, nothing.
    4. Using Internet Explorer 11, I was only able to get the “Setting up camera” message.
    a. While using Internet Explorer 11, I had a “USB” icon show in the upper right-hand side task-bar, even though a USB device was not present.

3. Hardware discrepancies:

1. When shutting down using the button, the system did not completely shut down, rather it halted at a “purple blinking” state of the power LED.
    2. Note that this also happens when using R4R Buster on occasion.

Illustrations:

Firefox: Setting Up Camera

Firefox: Truncated image

Note: ALL Firefox pages for this robot had the “You Must Login” banner that, when selected, takes you nowhere.

Firefox: Less truncated image.

IE-11 no pix and USB icon
Internet Explorer 11: USB icon and never shows any picture at all.

1 Like

I also saw that. Forgot to record it as I was busy trying to find the little button.

1 Like

I am sure I only scratched the surface.

Unfortunately, I do not wish to test using a different, (3.n), Raspberry Pi board because I really don’t want to disassemble and reassemble Charlie any more than necessary.

I really wish there was a battery meter in the task bar, (or at least a way of putting one there during testing), so that I can try to correlate errors with battery voltage. I know there’s a really good chance that these errors have absolutely NOTHING to do with battery voltage but. . . I have seen so many weird things happen due to low battery voltage, I’d really like that data point available, at least during testing.

@cleoqc,
May we please have a battery meter on the page, preferably in the task-bar, on both the “teaching” page and the desktop?

Perhaps this can be implemented as a “secret” feature, like SSH in DexterOS, by “touching” a filename somewhere?

Jim, Is it possible in the GoPiGoOS to run a battery voltage reading app via an ssh connection?

#!/usr/bin/python3

# battV.py    Read Battery Voltage (thread-safe)

# IMPORTS
import time
from datetime import datetime
import easygopigo3

def printStatus(egpg):
    vBatt = egpg.volt()  # use thread-safe version not get_battery_voltage
    print("{} Battery Voltage: {:0.2f}".format( datetime.now().date(),vBatt))

# ##### MAIN ######

def main():

# #### Create a mutex protected instance of EasyGoPiGo3 base class
    egpg = easygopigo3.EasyGoPiGo3(use_mutex=True)
    try:
        while True:
            printStatus(egpg)
            time.sleep(5)
        # end while
    except KeyboardInterrupt:
        print("\nExiting battV.py")
        time.sleep(1)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    main()

copy it into battV.py
chmod +x battV.py
./battV.py (control-c to exit)

Or can you run a Jupyter console tab at the same time you are testing? Then you wouldn’t need to remote ssh in.

1 Like

Yup!

It’s also possible to run the Jupiter code you suggested, wire a voltmeter, or a whole host of things. :wink:

The point I’m trying to make is:

1. The charge state of any battery powered device is an absolutely essential piece of information - no matter how powerful or long-lasting the battery may be.
    Ref: Laptop, cellphone, etc.
  2. Since this is an essential piece of information, it should be convenient to examine without jumping through hoops.
    a. Even in a classroom environment, (make that “ESPECIALLY in a classroom environment”), it is not unreasonable to expect batteries to run-down or inadvertently not be recharged.
    b. It’s a known, and oft’ proved fact that 99.99999. . .99999. . .99999% of the unexplainable flaky behaviors with both the Raspberry Pi and the GoPiGo stem from low battery voltage.
    c. It’s important enough that, now that the design is up for grabs, it is not unreasonable to ask for at least SOME kind of battery state icon on the task-bar. This has been available in every distribution of Linux known to man since the Dawn of Time.
    Ref: Red-Hat Linux v5, which pre-dates Fedora, loaded up on floppies, and came with a roller-skate key so that you could wind it up :wink:, had a battery meter - IF you could get the desktop working! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
    d. The UI doctrines of “least surprise”, “closure”, and “making essential information easily accessible to the user”, argue strongly in its favor.
    e. Taskbar widgets aren’t exactly bleeding edge technology. It shouldn’t be any more difficult to implement than a real-time-clock. Once I get some spare time after completely disassembling this version, (evil laugh!), I will look into that.
1 Like

@cleoqc,
Is there any kind of formal specification I can test against? As it is, I am doing shot-in-the-dark ad-hoc testing which is guaranteed to miss as many defects as it finds.

Is there any formalized bug tracking system I can enter bugs into, rather than posting mile-long messages here?

Additional issues found upon further testing:

Note:
This session, Firefox did NOT show the “Login to network” banner and camera video was full-size and not frozen. I do not know why. Repeated refreshes did not cause the original problem to recur.

Test: Change hostname: (Rename Robot)

1. Changing hostname from “GoPiGo” to “Charlie” was successful.
  2. After changing hostname, attempts to refresh the window simply repeats the reboot step. You have to use the browser’s back button, restart, or change the URL to just the IP address in order to return. This should automatically redirect after the reboot.
  3. Within the context of changing the hostname, it should be possible to change the robot’s IP address. This is especially desirable if more than one robot is going to be used in a class.
    a. How do you do this, if at all possible?
  4. Likewise, when changing the robot’s WiFi mode type from within a VNC window, it is not possible to select a static IP address.

Test: Use major controls from home screen.

1. The action menu bar is not populated with choices on the “home” screen. The choices, (File, Drive, Learn, Code), should always be at the top of the page so that they are selectable from anywhere.
  2. In this session, the video on the “Drive” screen was correct in Firefox. Likewise the “log into the network” banner shown before was not present. This could be cause and effect, (absence of login banner causes video to work), but I was not able to characterize it.

Test: Working with lessons:

1. It is not possible to navigate within lessons without using the help icon. This should be more intuitive and obvious.
  2. When in a modal dialog, (lesson steps), the lesson modal dialog can extend beyond the bottom of the screen, making the controls unreachable.
    a. The modal dialog itself is not scrollable.
    b. Because it is a modal dialog, the controls within the window, such as scroll bars, do not work.
    c. The only way to exit is via the browser back button.
  3. Some of the modal dialogs, (i.e. the IMU dialog, etc.), have grammar and spelling errors.
    Viz.: “Final assemble should look like this” should be “The final assembly should look like this”
    a. Recommendation: Carefully examine all the text assets for grammar and spelling.
    b. Note that I did not examine, nor did I test, any languages other than English.
  4. There is no audio via the audio jack. (I don’t have a USB speaker.)

Test: Working with Bloxter.

1. The sensor control panel in Bloxter shows no data for the IMU, regardless of which one is selected. Other sensor selections show data for the particular sensor.
  2. The individual sensor selections can only accept one sensor per port. However, it is possible and perfectly legal to apply more than one sensor to a port.
    Example: Charlie has both his distance sensor and the line-follower sensor wired to i2c port “1” as a matter of convenience and to reduce the tangle of wires at the front of the Raspberry Pi board.
  3. The IMU has two selections: “IMU (compass)” and “IMU (airplane)”
    a. There is nothing that describes the difference in functionality, or why one would be used instead of the other.
    b. All references to the IMU do not specify either version, they simply say “IMU”.
  4. All repeat loops have a built-in half-second delay that is not configurable.
    a. This delay should not be there because it is unexpected and can neither be changed or disabled.
    b. This also violates the “law of least astonishment” as the behavior of the loop is unexpected.
    c. Suggestion: There should be no built-in, (and hidden) time intervals in any program construct. Any program construct should do exactly what it says and only what it says.
    d. Alternate Suggestion: Loops that have a built-in delay should show that delay at the end of the loop and - ideally - it should be configurable.
  5. The block for “Turn [blinker] on for [count] [interval]” has no way to reverse the logic.
    a. Suggestion: The block should be redesigned to be:
    “Turn [blinker] [on|off] for [count] [interval]”
  6. Loops have no “pause” construct that would allow the program flow to be paused for a specified interval. This is true in both Bloxter and Advanced Bloxter.
    a. Suggestion: Add a “Pause” construct with a configurable interval.

Test: Working with the VNC Desktop

1. From within the VNC desktop, the “panel properties” show a battery meter widget installed, however it is not visible.
  2. Why is there a “PivotPi” control panel icon visible on the desktop? It does nothing when clicked.
  3. Likewise, there is an “IP address” message file on the desktop. Why is it there?
  4. After selecting the “Advanced Communication” control, pressing the “exit” button without making changes requests a reboot anyway. This should only request a reboot if any change has been made, even if reverted.
  5. In Scratch, there is the ability to go to a bunch of example programs by clicking on a button that opens a file browser window. Double clicking on any Scratch program file there does NOT launch Scratch with the program loaded. Perhaps a file association is missing?
  6. From within the Network Configuration dialog, there is no way to set a static IP address.
  7. CRITICAL: Unable to change WiFi country within raspi-config.
    a. Attempting to change the WiFi country returns a “cannot connect to wpa_supplicant” error.
    b. This is a critical error because this robot can, and likely will, be used outside of the US and Canada.
    c. It is a matter of established law and treaty that WiFi bands and frequencies must be changeable to conform to the standards of the locale used, unless use of the device is specifically limited to the US/Canada.
    d. This functionality exists in both Raspbian/Raspberry Pi O/S and Raspbian for Robots.

Respectfully submitted:

The diagram shown in the “Lesson” panel for the IMU shows the IMU facing the opposite way.

This puzzles me because you went through Hell and Half of Texas to determine how to make the IMU work properly - and you discovered that the chip-side of the board had to face forward.

I have not seen any canonical literature on which way the IMU chip and/or the IMU board should face. This is important as there might be a driver bug in the current release.

Not really - The IMU examples have always had the chips facing the other way. I was having some difficulty stringing the cable having enough length, and wanting the board to be as protected as possible, and as tight against the holder, and I really didn’t think the compass was going to work near the motors and the spinning encoder magnets, so I chose to use only gyros and accelerometers, with which I could do a reset to heading of zero when on the dock.

What I “went to hell” with was the fact that DI changed the default for all I2C sensors to software I2C which killed Carl’s reliability. (Thank you for the html tip!) I ended up figuring out how to run the Distance Sensor in hardware mode and tolerate the software I2C errors on the IMU to give Carl a time-between-failure greater than six months!

My test of the latest PiOS Raspbian for Robots pre-release showed the same fatal I2C errors returned. I did not attempt to debug what changed. Perhaps they got rid of the hardware I2C mode, or changed the string that specifies hardware mode, or perhaps the software I2C mode is different on PiOS, or who knows?

I cannot debug that one, and I am doubtful that DI/ModRobotics will since the mean-time-between-failure seems longer than one battery session; (MTBF appears to be around three days). Carl is probably doomed to remain on the Stretch version of Raspbian For Robots - but he has not complained that he needs any new OS features. He just needs my attention to implement finding the lines in the floor and returning accurately from across the room.

IMU orientation, and “robot frame” references are community chosen. DI chose a different reference than ROS, and DI chose an IMU orientation that required a remap from the IMU hardware default orientation of horizontal with the arrow pointing forward.

When I started working with that OccuGrid example I found on YouTube, the frame reference difference bit me over and over, in so many functions that I eventually got tired of contorting my mind. I’ll get back to it some day, but frame reference corrections are endemic to robot motion computations, and we just have to wrangle them to our particular combination of hardware and code.

1 Like

Maybe you are right - this might be a change from the compass bot example.

1 Like

I have not played with the compass bot so I can’t speak to that. Eventually I will get there, but I already have two three major projects on my plate:

• Testing this new release.
  • Figuring out how to implement tabs in Tk for the control panel.
    (I really don’t know if I want to challenge porting to Qt. :thinking: :roll_eyes:)
  • Continuing the joystick project.

The big problem with the GoPiGo is that there are SO MANY interesting things to do that it’s easy to get lost in a maze of “Wow! Let me peek at [insert interesting thing to mess with]!” to the point that you get nothing done!

Note that items 2 and 3 swap back and forth as I get frustrated with the current project.

P.S.
<strike> - </strike> work to create strike through text

1 Like

Additional Update:
I have researched this problem and - in the words of development managers everywhere - “It’s not a bug, it’s a feature!”

No kidding, and I B.S. you not, it is an actual, honest to aggravation feature in later versions of Firefox.picnic
It is sufficiently annoying, and has the potential to affect other users, so I created a separate article on how to deal with it.
Viz.:

(Previous) Update:
I have determined that, on my system running Windows 10, while using the Firefox browser, the following functional states can exist.

1. If I have my Ethernet, (hard-wired), connection active and connected to the Internet, then the problem does not exist.
    a. The “Log into network” banner does not occur.
    b. The video window opens full-size and real-time video is present.
    Note that the video frame-rate borders on unacceptably slow as any lateral or vertical motion produces significant blurring.
  2. If my Ethernet connection:
    a. Has the network cable physically disconnected
    b. Has the network cable connected but the adapter is disabled
    c. Has the network cable connected and the adapter is enabled, but there is no external connection to the Internet, (i.e. the router is disconnected from the modem, an external loss of connection, etc.)
    Then the “Log into network” banner pops up, and the video is frozen.

This appears to manifest itself when an external internet connection does not exist, for whatever reason.
Note that my Firefox session has other tabs to external sites open. That may be part of the problem. If so, that may end up being a Firefox bug.

Can someone else try to confirm this behavior with Firefox open with more than one active tab to an external web site, and a tab open to the robot in stand-alone host mode?

1 Like

Update:

Note:
Since there is a LOT of testing to do, and this will generate voluminous amounts of data, I am considering creating a separate test document outlining my findings and uploading it both here and to the MR support e-mail.

Pros: It will keep this thread from becoming twenty miles long and - essentially - unmanageable.
Cons: A lot of interesting, and potentially important, test data will be hidden in a document that most people will be unwilling to download and read as it is likely to be quite long.

After thinking about this, I am considering the idea of creating the document(s) noted above and posting an (ahem!) “Executive Summary” to the list. Anyone who is interested can ask for additional clarification.

What say ye? Opinions would be gratefully appreciated.

Additional test data:

1. Issue with Firefox and the “Drive” page. This appears to be related to the presence or absence of an active external Internet connection. This may also be related to the presence or absence of additional active tabs open as noted in the posting above. Note that this last observation is not yet clearly characterized and additional testing is required.

Test: Basic Scratch functionality:

1. Scratch ==> Open Examples takes you to a page containing example scripts, but double clicking on them does not open Scratch to use them.
  2. Scratch ==> Open Examples, selecting a script, selecting “Open With”, and then selecting “Scratch” does not open Scratch to use them.
  3. Scratch ==> Start Programming ==> Files ==> Open, navigating to the Scratch/Examples directory and opening one of the example scripts works.
  4. Loading and running the GoPiGo_Basic_Test script as noted in #3:
    a. The first time I ran it, commands to move the wheels did not work.
    b. The second time I ran it, to verify the steps so I could document it here, commands to move the wheels actually worked.
    Note that this requires additional testing to completely characterize. It may be related to the presence of external Internet, it may be a bug in Scratch, or it may end up being operator error.

Test: Bloxter Lessons.

1. Attempting to run the IMU tests disclosed a potential issue with the I/O port configuration panel:
    a. If any sensor except the IMU are enabled and assigned ports, all sensors return active data.
    b. As soon as the IMU is added, any existing sensor data showed on the I/O port configuration panel freezes. If the IMU is configured first, no data is ever shown.
    Note that the IMU never shows active data.
    c. Continued testing disclosed that the sensors were still active and that data could still be returned programmatically.
  2. While running the IMU lesson or while programming in Bloxter:
    (The program in Bloxter being, essentially, a duplication of the lesson.)
    a. If the IMU is inadvertently assigned to the wrong port and the program started, the program correctly returns the error that the IMU could not be configured.
    b. If the IMU is subsequently assigned to the correct port and the program restarted, the program produces no output whatsoever. There isn’t even an output screen. The program apparently goes into the “running” state and freezes solid.
    c. In order to restore IMU functionality, the lessons or programming must be completely exited back to a parent window and re-entered forcing the I/O configuration panel to reset to defaults, and the IMU correctly assigned the first time.
    Note that I did not try saving and restoring a program while doing this. My test recreated the program from a blank session each time.
  3. There is no if-then-else block in Advanced Bloxter. However this program construct exists in Basic Bloxter. I suspect it was put in the wrong category by mistake.
  4. The programmatic use of the “Test [condition], if true [do something], if false [do something]” construct in Bloxter is by no means obvious.
  5. The “Test” block, (and possibly others) do not fully conform to the general expectation of a block-oriented language. (i.e. If the pieces can fit together mechanically, the statement is presumed valid.)
    a. Parameters can be values, constants, logical conditions, or lexical logical conditions. All have the left-point jigsaw puzzle bulge.
    b. Apparently the use of lexical logical conditions, (i.e. “if 0”, which should evaluate to “false”) are not allowed even if they appear to fit.
    c. I suspect that this behavior is consistent with other block-oriented languages, though it’s confusing because the blocks appear to be able to fit.
    d. It should be noted that Python, (the underlying language), allows lexical logical conditions as tests.

Respectfully submitted.

1 Like