GoPiGo plus GrovePi and Scratch[SOLVED]

Hi,

a)
I am wondering whether I can connect more than one GroovePi sensors to the GoPiGo. I believe I would need the GrovePi board to add more sensors?

I am wondering whether I can use GrovePi with the GoPiGo or whether I need additional connectors to connect GrovePi to the GoPiGo? Also is the enclosure (of GoPiGo) high enough to stack the GrovePi?

b)
Also i am planing on using four Grove Line Finders and the Ultrasonic Range. Are there Pythons scripts which allow integrating the sensors into the Scratch programming environment?

Thank you very much

Hi,
The GoPiGo has 4 ports on it: one each of Serial,I2C,Digital and analog. If you need to use more sensors, then adding GrovePi with the GoPiGo is recommended. The GrovePi does indeed work well with the GoPiGo.

You might have to tinker around a bit to get the GrovePi Connected properly with the GoPiGo. The GoPiGo has an extra 28pin header for the Raspberry Pi. You will have to solder some headers there and then use a ribbon cable to connect to the GrovePi. You can then put the GrovePi on top of the case.

You can use both the Ultrasonic sensor and the line sensor and we have scripts written out for both. You can find the example scripts here: https://github.com/DexterInd/GrovePi/tree/master/Software/Python . I’ll recommend you to use the GrovePi along with the GoPiGo for this project.

Do let us know how your project goes and if you end up creating and awesome line sensor robot please share it with us, we’ll be happy to share it with our users.

-Karan

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a schematic so you can point out where I have to solder and which ribbon cable I should use?

Hi,
We don’t have a schematic for the connections but you can use this ribbon cable: https://www.adafruit.com/product/862 and connect it to the blank 26 pin header on one end and to the GrovePi on the other end.

If you don’t want to mess up with the cables, you can also use 5 Jumpers. Connect 5V,3.3V,GND, SDA , SCL between the GoPiGo and the GrovePi (GPIO 1,2,3,5,6) http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_peripherals.

-Karan

I am understanding that GroovePi can be used with the i2c bus. Does this mean I could stack Raspberry Pie, GoPiGo and Groove Pi? (then I don’t need to solder, I can find longer screws, some extenders…)

b)
I understand the python, but wondering whether this works: Atttach a few line finders to the Groove Pie, then use the input from the line finders in Scratch and program the GoPiGo using scratch.
I didn’t find a Python script which makes the Line finders available in the Scratch environment

Looking forward to a response
Thanks

Hi,
You can use the I2C bus for sure to connect both the GrovePi and the GoPiGo, but you’ll have to connect the 3.3V between the two boards too. You can use a single jumper for that.

Right now there is no support for GrovePi and scratch. We’ll be adding that in the coming months, so you’ll be able to use the sensor after that.

-Karan

Hi,
I also am interested in using Grovepi on Gopigo.
I already have grovepi and I am waiting my gopigo (ordered a couple of days ago) to experiment with my 13 years old son.

In order to connect just 5V,3.3V,GND, SDA , SCL between the GoPiGo and the GrovePi (GPIO 1,2,3,5,6) as usuggested: am I supposed to solder from holes from gopigo board to grovepi male connector? (or there is some other option without soldering?)
Thnx
G

Hey,
I think soldering a connector or wires is the one of the option to connect a GrovePi to the GoPiGo. Another option could be to use the Grove cable and connect it to the I2C port on the GoPiGo and the GrovePi which should proving you with SDA, SCL, 5V and GND, you’ll still have to connect 3.3V from the Pi to the Grovepi using a jumper, but that should be simpler than soldering 5 wires.

-Karan

Thank you! Yes, I will try this solution.
I look forward starting playing with gopigo :slight_smile:
G

Question :
1 ) What is the 3.3v needed for (as I 2 will be hooking up my GrovePi+ to my GoPiGO)

2 ) I am guessing you can just plug in the female 3.3v port on the GoPiGo to the GrovePi+?

Hey,
The Raspberry Pi works on 3.3V and the GrovePi and the Grove sensors on 5V. Since it’s not safe to feed 5V signals directly to the Raspberry Pi, there is a chip on the GrovePi which translates the 5V signals to 3.3V and vice-versa. For this translation, the chip needs 3.3V to work, that is the reason that you have to give 3.3V too.

Connecting the 3.3V pin on the GoPiGo to the GrovePi+ should work too.

-Karan

Hi Karan,

So please correct me if I am wrong.

In order to connect the GoPiGo, GrovePi+, and Raspberry Pi, i will need the following items:

And the steps to connect them are as follows:

• Connect the Grove Cable to the i2C ports of the GoPiGo board and the GrovePi+ board
  • Connect one end of the Female to Female jumper wire to the 3.3V pin near the middle of the Raspberry Pi board (orange circle in the pin diagram here http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_peripherals), and the other end to the same 3.3v pin on the GrovePi+.

It will really help if there’s a video or at least detailed instructions on how to do this properly.

Hi @diablo,

Yes you will have to use a Grove 4 pin connector cable and connect it to the I2C port, on the GoPiGo and the GrovePi. This connection provides all the signals necessary for the GrovePi to work and doesn’t need any more connections.

Please let us know if this helps,
-Shoban

Hi Shoban,

Thank you for the reply. Then what about the 3.3v and 5v translation issue that Karan mentioned?

-Diablo

Hi @diablo ,

Those translations were required in the past and now they are taken care by default in GrovePi+, so you will not need those translations.

-Shoban

Hi Shoban,

Oh, cool!! If that’s the case, I got 4 follow up questions.

1. Can the GrovePi+ fit in the GrovePi case (http://www.dexterindustries.com/shop/grovepi-case/)?

2. If the answer is yes to question 2, can the GrovePi case be fitted on the top layer of the GoPiGo chassis with whatever leftover screws I have from the GoPiGo? Do I need to make any holes?

3. After the GrovePi+, GoPiGo and Raspberry Pi 2 are hooked up, which section(s) of the Dexter Industries website should I be looking at for projects/tutorials to hook up the sensors and for relevant Python coding (e.g. Under GoPiGo/GrovePi/both)?

4. Does Dexter Industries sell the Grove 4 pin connector cable ? I cannot seem to find it. Please provide the link if it does.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @diablo,

Yes, the GrovePi+ can fit into the GrovePi case.
I haven’ t really tried placing the GrovePi case over the chassis of GoPiGo but from the diagram and dimensions it looks like the GrovePi case should sit on top of the GoPiGo chassis easily with the existing holes.

To your third question, the answer is, you will have to use the tutorials relevant to the board to which you are connecting the sensors to. If you are connecting a sensor to the GoPiGo, use the python examples given here and if you are connecting them to GrovePi then use the examples given here.

Sensors bought from Dexter Industries come with a grove connector. If you needs more, you can get them from here.

Do let us know if this helps,
-Shoban

HI Shoban,

Thank you very much for your answers. As I take it that the GrovePi+ does not come with any Grove 4-pin connectors to hook up to the Raspberry PI 2, I will have to buy them myself.

Nevertheless, you have been very helpful.

Cheers

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.