Gotta scratch that itch!

non fungible token (whatever that is), I read people are selling digital art with blockchain NFT. Apparently it is a “thing” now.

2 Likes

I know what it is, but still don’t get it. If you own an NFT, that’s all you own. People can still make exact copies of the digital original. They just won’t have the verified token. So why is that a big deal? I don’t get it.
/K

2 Likes

I don’t either - the pictures I’ve seen tokened didn’t seem like something anyone would want, period, let alone pay money for in the hopes that someday another sucker will pay more for the tokened disaster… but then I decided against buying bitcoin at $100, so clearly I don’t get “the art of the deal”

1 Like

I thought about mining bitcoin when people were buying one pizza for one bitcoin. Really kicking myself about that.

/K

2 Likes

NFT sounds like some kind of digital signature that would verify the authenticity of the object.

So what?

That assumes I even want the stuff.  And if anyone wants to “steal” a picture of Charlie, go right ahead.

Oh, and isn’t this entire site CC no $$ use anyway?  Assuming that’s true, everything here is fair game and I’d like nothing better than to have someone come to this site, see pictures of Carl, Dave, Finmark, or Charlie, and get inspired to do great things.

Re: Bitcoin (et. al.)
As far as I know it’s not easily convertable to real money so what’s the use?  That is, unless you lurk the Dark Web and want to hire a bunch of terrorists or hackers. . .

2 Likes

Reminds me of a comment I read where someone said that, (as a general rule), the quality of a piece of work was inversely proportional to the number of watermarks and digital tokens embedded in it.
:wink:

2 Likes

The only good itch is a DEAD itch!

One of the big issues living overseas is the difference in both voltage and mains sockets.

It’s a pain looking for the little blade-to-pin adapters, mostly because they don’t work, and when they do, they get lost or are all in use.

Scratched itch:

Surface mount grounded US socket to European grounded plug.

It doesn’t convert the voltage, but 99% of my stuff is dual-voltage anyway.

And it even has a big hard-drive magnet on the back so I can stick it to the radiator!

2 Likes

Another use for an attached monitor:

When using VNC to communicate with the robot, the image of the desktop on my laptop’s screen is relatively small.  My monitor has a much larger screen.

The directly connected Raspberry Pi keyboard is difficult to use because of both size and active area alignment.  (Example: You have to strike the left side of the “Enter” key for it to register.)

With a directly connected monitor while using a VNC connection, I have the advantage of a large screen with a civilized keyboard and mouse.

2 Likes