GPS sensor gopigo from command line

oh that makes sense although if you have the GPS sensor plugged in shouldn’t you be programming it?:wink:

Thanks so much for your help so far, and do you have any more ideas on how to access the data?

No, more like so you don’t accidently change a file then wonder why it doesn’t work anymore! However I find it annoying.

I’m sorry @ikhouder. I tried everything I know of. @JohnC said someone besides me would reply, but. :frowning:
Sorry I’m really stumped.

Thanks so much for the help @graykevinb and although we didn’t fix the problem I learned a lot. Thank you. I just have a quick question; my last question for you and I hope that others will help with this problem. When you gave me a file to download I didn’t know how to access it on the robot desktop. How can you do that? Or is it not possible?

Thanks again

Simple. Type
curl https://forum.dexterindustries.com/uploads/default/original/1X/1b07e508b5d9da84a6337ea19622da853900fced.py -o gps2.py

That downloades the code.

But don’t lose hope! I will get Raspbian for Robots running and figure out why my solutions didn’t work.

Until then if you get any permission denies, just put sudo in front of your comma d if you want. Again not good practice but it won’t kill you. :wink:

So I tinkered around with the code and where it said the error about

(‘gps.csv’, ‘w’)

I removed the ‘w’ and then it returned another error: the f.write thing(name, latitude longitude) that writes the header was an “operation not available” so I put a # there to stop it from writing the header; not that important.

then x=g.read() was apparently missing an argument called self which I added

but now I’m stuck:

ser is not defined

removing this makes the code do nothing; as in it runs but nothing happens

What is the error output of (gps.CSV')?
You can’t remove that. I looked and it is necessary to run. Unless you comment/remove every Line that is f.write

YAYY! The issue of file permission/root stuff is bypassed. I think. Now we need to find out why serial isn’t working.

You may want to try updating with Di_Update. There should be on your desktop a update icon. Click it and select your GoPiGo, update firmware, and also update software. Then try again.

If not should have been done anyway, so no harm done! I will also do some research when I get the time.

Oh yes! I forgot the

I had to # too because I didn’t have permission to access that either.

The update didn’t do anything but at least I updated right?

Yah. No harm done.

No wonder! Lol. So does it work now? What’s the problem now?

same as before; still the serial. The ‘dev/ttyAMAO’ made another error message before but now we are back to square one; same error message with the serial

Does the gopigo itself work?

the motors and everything yes, what do you mean?

I just was checking if your gopigo itself worked. If it does that rules out most likely the possibility of it being your gopigo. I think the issue lies in the serial not being configured correctly.

Hi @ikhouider,
I am going to step in and try to solve the problems that you have been facing. Thanks @graykevinb for all the support.

@ikhouider I think a lot of the problems that you are having are just beginner mistakes and those are compounding the problem and making it harder for us to solve it.

I’ll help you out with it. Please follow the steps exactly as I mention and report back in as much detail about what happened and if you got an error. Please do not try anything other that what I tell.

1. Start with a fresh raspbian for robots image. Download it from the website and burn it to the SD card and login to the Desktop. Steps here

2. On the desktop, open LXterminal, and goto the GPS folder which should have the contents like this . Do not use the python interpreter

3. Run gps_hardware_test.py in that folder on lxterminal using

sudo python gps_hardware_test.py

Paste the results here of each of the above steps and also post some pictures of how the GPS is connected to the GoPiGo.

I’m having the same program? I’m a newbie so…any help is appreciated

Sorry…Same Problem

@pdesmet,
Can you run the hardware test that I have mentioned in the post above and send us some screenshots of what the error looks like.

Hello,

Sorry its been a while @karan I was out of town
I can’t find the LX terminal
sorry

Hi @ikhouider,

The image below shows where you will have to click to get the LX Terminal

Hope this helps,
-Shoban