Hacking the Power: Custom Power Supply

First-time RPI user here excited to get started, just got my VNC running!

I am having a fine experience with 6 1.5v AA batteries in the handy battery pack sent with the BrickPi starter kit. But I’d like to use a “custom power source”. Where can I find a nice little adapter plug like the one that slips in the BrickPi power prongs, so I don’t have to worry about making a sound connection?
Thanks!

Hey MFiddler, I moved this out to a new topic because I think it deserves a new topic. HOpe you don’t mind!

First, congrats on getting VNC and everything up being a first time user. I would love to hear your experience and frustrations so we can make it easy for other first time users to use it.

You can find those adapters in a few places.

Mouser: You can pickup the 9V Battery Adapter here at Mouser. Snip the 9V battery end off, and you’re ready to rock.

The naked hack: Get some alligator clips from Radio Shack, and you can attach a battery. Go with the ones with a plastic shrouding so you can slip it down and keep the terminals from touching if you shift your model around.

Be sure to follow the guidelines on our (just updated yesterday) guide to powering the Pi: http://www.dexterindustries.com/BrickPi/getting-started/power-up-the-brickpi/
(12V max, get the polarity correct!).

Let us know what you do!

Thanks!
For now I am going to try more re-chargeable AA’s - decided to get something working before optimizing with the adapter (on order) and/or just plain alligator (clips which I have on hand). In the meantime, seems like this USB battery pack (http://www.adafruit.com/products/1565) will also be handy.

Let me know the best way to revert back on my experience. (E.g. parts of the instructions that could be more explicit for newbies like me.)

Thanks!!
Margaret

I think the USB power pack is a great idea. It looks reasonably priced as well.

The only problem is that this will not power your motors. Just a heads up.

Hey Margaret,
Happy to take your feedback in the forums so others can chime in. We would really love it though, especially from someone who hasn’t used the RPi before.

Thanks Margaret!