HELP REQUIRED! Remote Connection to GoPiGo3 using Rasbpian for Robots

RealVNC viewer:

Download RealVNC VIEWER, not RealVNC Connect.

You don’t need a subscription or the fancy version. Just download the correct viewer for your system, (Windows, Mac, etc.) install it, and you’re good to go.

You will need your robot’s IP address, the username, (it should be “pi”), and the password, (it should be “robots1234”), to create the connection profile.  If you check “remember password” it will log in automatically any future time.

2 Likes

This one right?

3 Likes

You got it!
:+1: :+1:

1 Like

Now I go file, new connection and choose the IP of the robot right ?

2 Likes

At the bottom of the “General” tab is a checkbox for “update desktop preview automatically”, leave it set.

Once you connect and get a desktop on the remote system, close the viewer and you will notice you have a desktop image on the connection icon.  Then, right-click on the connection icon, scroll down to the “update desktop preview” checkbox and un-check it.  Also, do NOT delete the current desktop image.  This way you will have a nice connection icon.

1 Like

Ok, can you explain to me from this point I am at, how to get the IP of the robot?

Do I restart it into normal connection mode and then find it from there?

2 Likes

Easiest way:

1. Shutdown the robot by pressing the power button.
  2. Plug in a wired headset into the audio jack.
  3. Restart the robot by pressing the power button.
  4. Listen.  It will speak the IP address assigned to your robot.
1 Like

I dont have a wired headset… Im jumping to ICT to borrow one if they have…

2 Likes

if you plug in a HDMI monitor, there will be a file on the desktop with the IP address.

Interesting. . . . I’m not hearing the IP address thorough a headset, I don’t know why.

1 Like

Did I walk up and down 4 floor for nothing. Stay tuned to find out :D.

This is the headphone jack right?

2 Likes

I tried it to confirm, and I received no talkback.

@cyclicalobsessive is the local expert on speech, so I pinged him in a separate topic.  Let’s see what he says.

In the meantime, if you can connect a monitor to it temporarily, you can get the IP address off the desktop.

That’s the power jack for the Raspberry Pi.  You should be using the 12v barrel jack.  The audio jack is the jack to the right of the second HDMI port.

Wait, so this should be the IP right?

My monitor is a whole a** projector btw… :smile:

2 Likes

Correct!

If you have a projector for a monitor, get yourself a joystick, pedals, and a flight simulator program!! :wink:

1 Like

Oh snap its that one, I pinged it through ssh from my local cmd

2 Likes

It’s not technically mine, I wanted to try some projector gaming honestly. ahahaha

2 Likes

So I have this part like this right?

2 Likes

Seriously now, have I seen you on the MSFS forums? I think I remember your avatar.

Or maybe it was X-Plane?

1 Like

Keep that checked until after you make your first connection and quit.

Then un-check it.

1 Like

I don’t think so. I haven’t played that game. Seems like something my brother would play. Plus this avatar is kinda borrowed from the chillhop raccoon, but if you see me in real life I look like him so I kinda use it for coding purposes :smiley:

2 Likes