My GoPiGo3 turnes left without permission even though I instruct "Go Straight"

Hello, I have used two GoPiGo3s in my research, and there have been cases in which one of the robots turned left without permission even though I instructed “Go Straight”.
Since we can’t do correct experiment anymore with this robot, I changed the robot to the another one and I was doing a turning experiment with it, and the another robot also started turning left on its own. In such a case, what kind of correction should I do to make it go straight again?
(Postscript: Another GoPiGo3 can go straight after I changed the battery.)

3 Likes

How old are the robots?

You might have a defective GoPiGo controller board, especially since it seems that the problem follows the board when it is moved to another robot.  (I’d suspect the “H-bridge” driver chip based on what you’re experiencing, but it could be other things as well.)

If the robot is new, (or relatively new), contact Modular Robotics support e-mail, (support@modrobotics.com), and see if they can send you a replacement.

2 Likes

One thing to check when straight command results in turning behavior: the encoder sensor spacing/positioning.

If the gopigo board is not receiving encoder signal from a side, it will increase the power to that side trying to make that wheel go faster. This makes that wheel turn faster than the “good encoder” wheel, resulting in uncommanded turning behavior.

see

2 Likes