No SPI response Brickpi3

Hi,

I’m trying to get my BrickPi3 working, but failing badly so far!

I have a brand new BrickPi3 and brand new Raspberry Pi 3 B+. I’m using the latest Raspbian for Robots, which boots fine. I’ve updated and upgraded Raspbian.

I’ve checked that the BrickPi3 is correctly attached to the Raspi and it looks lined up correctly and securely attached (I’ve removed it and re-attached it a few times just to be sure!).

I’ve been through various posts on the forum. When I run “Test and troubleshoot”, it finishes almost instantly and the log.txt file just says “No SPI response”.

I’ve run sudo curl -kL dexterindustries.com/update_brickpi3 | bash and it seemed to complete successfully.

When I run sudo bash /home/pi/Dexter/BrickPi3/Firmware/brickpi3samd_flash_firmware.sh I don’t get the “Verified OK” message. All I get is what’s in the attached text file.fw.txt (1.8 KB)

Can anyone help me figure out what’s going wrong?

Thanks!
David.

Hi @dc1

Sorry you’re having issues with the BrickPi3. We do know we have an issue with firmware flashing. It doesn’t always go through the first time. It can take 2 or 3 attempts, at most 5 for the firmware to flash properly.

Did you try it a few times with always the same result? Or did you run it only once so far?

You might also consider getting the Raspbian for Robots image but do NOT run apt-get update/upgrade on it, until the firmware is properly flashed.

Cleo

Hi Cleo,

Problem solved!

Yes, I did try several times, but it turns out it was never going to work. I had been sent the wrong BrickPi (the + instead of the 3). I only noticed when I saw the version number v2.8 on the BrickPi board. I guess I should have looked a bit closer when I took it out of the box.

Anyway, the company that sold me it apologised and refunded me and told me to keep it or throw it away. I received a BrickPi3 yesterday from a different company. This time everything has gone as expected so my daughter and I can (hopefully) start using Scratch and Python to program some robots and take her mind off this Coronavirus craziness (I’m a software developer so I’m hoping the Python or NodeJs programming will be better for me than the Lego graphical software).

Thanks for your prompt reply!
David.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know. I had no idea the BrickPi+ was still out there! It’s been 3 years!