Raspberry Pi 3 is much faster

It’s been a while since I’ve posted on the forum, but I thought others might find this interesting. Last year I was working on a racing robot using computer vision and found the performance of Pi 2 B too slow. With the new Pi 3, it’s fast enough. Here’s some basic results I ran tonight.

That’s great to hear. Have you tried it with any of our products yet?

I used the latest Noob from raspberry pi. The old script I wrote to build OpenCV on Pi 2 needs to be updated for Pi 3. Once I get the build script working for Pi 3, I plan to check it into GIT.

I plan to play with my BrickPi this weekend, will post my results and let others know how it goes.

I installed the BrickPi and BrickPi_Python drivres, but the LEGO-Motor_test.py isn’t working. The error suggests it’s not able to access the IO

File “LEGO-Motor_Test.py”, line 20, in <module>
BrickPiSetupSensors() #Send the properties of sensors to BrickPi
File “build/bdist.linux-armv7l/egg/BrickPi.py”, line 445, in BrickPiSetupSensors
File “build/bdist.linux-armv7l/egg/BrickPi.py”, line 645, in BrickPiTx
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py”, line 475, in write
n = os.write(self.fd, d)
KeyboardInterrupt

I turned on debugging, hopefully I can figure it out

Luckily Shi Harvey posted a comment to by blog. The problem was caused by the new bluetooth in Pi3. The fix is to do this and disable bluetooth.

https://openenergymonitor.org/emon/node/12311

Hopefully the raspberry pi foundation will have a proper fix for this, since I’d like to be able to use bluetooth on Pi3. With BT disabled, brickpi works fine.

Hi John, if you read this. A quick question. I was going to edit the Readme for BrickPi to mention the change needed to disable bluetooth. I was thinking it would be good to have a Pi3 version of the installer that disables bluetooth. What do you think?

I can make the change and check it in to GIT

I created a pull request for the README file in the setup folder.

Hey Woolfel thanks! merged the pull request!

Here’s a full image download:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dexterindustriesraspbianflavor/files/

glad to help. the power of open source!!!