Raspberry Pi 4 Support

Hi,

Does GrovePi+ support Raspberry Pi 4? The last post on this topic was in early July, so I am hoping for an update here.

Thanks,

Steve

1 Like

Hello Steve,

I am wondering if I am facing the same matter?! I have a RPI 4 (4GB) and installed the GrovePi+ HAT on it. LED on the HAT is on.
I tried installing the software through the install.sh script but it failed. Then I started with a fresh Raspbian SD card once more and used “curl -kL dexterindustries.com/update_grovepi | bash” and a reboot which seemed to work (with some errors and warnings though - too fast for a newbe to tell how serious).
When running the test “sudo i2cdetect -y 1” the following output is shown, which I understand is not successful:

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f

00: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
10: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
20: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
30: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
40: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
50: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
60: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
70: – -- – -- – -- – --

I connected the LED module to D5 (D4 not accessible right now due to the case), changed the script to D5 and it runs, but the LED stays dark.

Really disappointed!

Greetings, Marcus

1 Like

OK, found a post about RPI4 - they are still working on it…

1 Like

Hello, is there any update on this please. I just tried installing on the Pi 4 and had issues with failed install and non detection of the board. Many thanks.

1 Like

Did you use:

And apparently this work-around is needed:

1 Like

Hello @pjuett

What board are you trying to install? And did you start from Raspbian for Robots, or from Raspbian itself?

1 Like

I was trying GrovePi+ on the Raspberry Pi 4 4GB [with the September Buster release].
I switched to the Pi 3 due to time constraints on the project.
Will be sure to revisit the Pi 4 and Grove at some point.
Thanks for the follow up.

2 Likes

There’s been a fix today for the grovepi installation on standalone Raspbian.

1 Like

I’ve been using the GrovePi+ with a Pi 4 for the last week and the experience is somewhat flakey. Sensors seem to work, but buttons and LEDs don’t always work when using digitalRead and digitalWrite.

Foe example - I’ll be polling for a button state, press the button, and sometimes it works, other times it doesn’t detect. Same with LEDs - sometimes I can turn them on with digitalWrite, sometimes the call will return but the LED stays off.

Using a Pi 3 and it works every time. Pi 4 - sometimes yes, sometimes no. Weirdly it seems to be the most reliable when I connect to my Pi remotely using VS Code and use the debugger - when doing that it works pretty much every time. Run without the debugger and it often fails.

1 Like

Two things to check right away:

1. The SD card.
    Cheapo SD cards do NOT  cut it. You should invest in U3 cards. Get U3 - A1/A2 rated if you can.

“A” (application) rated cards are specifically designed to be used for multiple small reads/writes instead of fast sequential reads of large files like videos.

1. Make sure you are using Buster  for the Pi-4. Earlier versions may not work. For the GoPiGo, you WILL  need the Buster image of Raspbian for Robots if you are using the Pi-4.

2. (Ok, I can’t count. Sue me. :wink:)
    Make sure you are using GOOD   batteries, (high capacity NiMH), fully charged. Simple alkaline batteries will NOT  cut the mustard. (Ask me how I know!)