Rubikuber motors do not run

I’ve had my BricKuber running since early 2019. I recently had a failure of the SD card and was forced to rebuild the OS from the start. This time I used a USB SSD with the 2019.04.05_Raspbian_For_Robots_by_Dexter_Industries_Stretch.img written using Raspberry Pi Imager on an iMac. This booted OK but I had to upgrade to Buster as there was at least one failed dependency. After the upgrade and a bit of tweaking BricKuber.py eventually ran but no arm or table movement.

Read_Info.py shows:

Manufacturer : Dexter Industries
Board : BrickPi3
Serial Number : 639D9855504B5354392E314BFF0F2140
Hardware version: 3.0.0
Firmware version: 1.4.8
Battery voltage : 11.9
9v voltage : 9.309
5v voltage : 4.999
3.3v voltage : 3.338

But i2cdetect -y 1 shows:

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f

00: – – – – – – – – – – – – –
10: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
20: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
30: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
40: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
50: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
60: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
70: – – – – – – – –
I thought the on-board processor used I2C for programming?

/boot/config.txt has the following:

dtparam=i2c1=on
dtparam=spi=on
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2c1=on
dtoverlay=brickpi3

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Smudger

1 Like

I omitted to say that I’m using an RPi3B, version 1.2

Strongly suggest you use the latest β€œLegacy” Pi OS, and curl the BrickPi3 software onto it:

Install the latest β€œLegacy Pi OS” using the latest Raspberry Pi Imager

Then In order to quickly install the BrickPi3 repository, open up a terminal and type the following command:

curl -kL dexterindustries.com/update_brickpi3 | bash
1 Like

@cyclicalobsessive

Many thanks for your rapid reply. I burned the latest Legacy Pi OS (32bit Buster 2022-09-22) onto my 120GB SSD, booted and ran the β€˜curl’ operation. I had to also run β€˜sudo pip install kociemba’ but that failed with message:

β€˜Command β€œpython setup.py egg_info” failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-install-P8V3Uq/kociemba/’

until I changed the symlink in /usr/bin/python to point to /usr/bin/python3 rather than python2.

BricKuber now runs but still no motor action with neither the grabber nor table.

Edited brickuber_lib.py to change debug_print_commnds_on = True & debug_motor_commands_on = True

Now BricKuber.py runs in a loop printing β€˜Current Position: 25’ ad infinitum, but no motor activity.

So, I’m in roughly the same situation as I was before but have found a much quicker way of installing the bootable image thanks to you. :slight_smile:

Are there any test pograms that I’ve forgotten about in the intervening 3 years since I first built the rubikuber?

Cheers

Smudger

Added later:
Test_Connected.py:
BrickPi3 connected and running

Read_Info.py:
Manufacturer : Dexter Industries
Board : BrickPi3
Serial Number : 639D9855504B5354392E314BFF0F2140
Hardware version: 3.0.0
Firmware version: 1.4.8
Battery voltage : 11.822
9v voltage : 9.312
5v voltage : 5.004
3.3v voltage : 3.331

Ah-ha! My bad! Problem was that I had detached the motor cables from the BrickPi3 and had consulted a photo which used different ports. Once I’d found the right ports all was well as far as motors. Now I’ve got a problem with a wrong version of numpy for kociemba but I’m sure that is relatively easy to cure.

Thanks again.

3 Likes

The most worrisome problems often end up with easy to fix solutions! Thanks for working through this one and rebuilding the whole system from scratch. Those dependencies going away are a nightmare to deal with.

2 Likes