Serial Error with BirckPi

Hi!
I had a problem accessing the serial while running my code on Rasberry pi 3 with the BrickPi. When I try to run my code -see below-, Python says:

File "/home/pi/Robocup2015/lib/motor.py", line 18, in move

BrickPiUpdateValues()

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/BrickPi-0.0.0-py2.7.egg/BrickPi.py", line 551, in BrickPiUpdateValues

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/BrickPi-0.0.0-py2.7.egg/BrickPi.py", line 680, in BrickPiTx

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 485, in write

raise SerialException('write failed: %s' % (v,))

serial.serialutil.SerialException: write failed: [Errno 5] Input/output error

Is the RaspberryPi 3 the problem? Should I use the RaspberryPi 2?
My code is divided in two parts, a class:

from BrickPi import *
import time

class motor:

def setup(self):
        BrickPiSetup()
        BrickPi.MotorEnable[PORT_A] = 1 #Enable the Motor A
        BrickPi.MotorEnable[PORT_B] = 1 #Enable the Motor B
        BrickPi.MotorEnable[PORT_C] = 1 #Enable the Motor C
        BrickPiSetupSensors()

def move(self, powerA, powerB, powerC):
        BrickPi.MotorSpeed[PORT_A] = powerA;
        BrickPi.MotorSpeed[PORT_B] = powerB;
        BrickPi.MotorSpeed[PORT_C] = powerC;
        BrickPiUpdateValues()

and then the invocation:

motor = motor.motor()
    motor.setup()
    while 1:
        motor.move(powerA, powerB, powerC)

What do you think can be the problem?

Thank you,

Francesco Paissan.

Which version of Raspbian for RObots are you running?

I tried with Raspbian Wheezy (your distro) and also with Raspbian Jessie (always your distro). The problem is always the same.

Thank you for the fast reply.

Francesco Paissan

In Raspbian Wheezy, did any of the example files work (trying to figure out if it’s an issue with the code you wrote or if it’s an issue with the hardware setup)? If the example files didn’t work, did you try enabling BrickPi communications (http://www.dexterindustries.com/howto/enable-or-disable-brickpi-communications/)?

If not, which version of Raspbian for Robots are you using? What’s the date stamp on it?

If I try to run the test code, Python says:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/LEGO-Motor_Test.py", line 35, in <module>
    BrickPiUpdateValues()       # Ask BrickPi to update values for sensors/motors
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/BrickPi-0.0.0-py2.7.egg/BrickPi.py", line 553, in BrickPiUpdateValues
    result, BytesReceived, InArray = BrickPiRx(0.007500) #check timeout
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/BrickPi-0.0.0-py2.7.egg/BrickPi.py", line 701, in BrickPiRx
    while( ser.inWaiting() <= 0):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 431, in inWaiting
    s = fcntl.ioctl(self.fd, TIOCINQ, TIOCM_zero_str)
IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

I tried to enable and then disable IR Receiver and it doesn’t work. Now I’ll try to change some settings about the serial port.
At the moment I’ve not here the image I wrote on this USB. I’ll post the date on the image name in a few hours.

Wishing you can help me,
sincerely.

Francesco.

I solved my problem.
I modified the default serial port of the pi. Tutorial at the following link:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/raspberry-pi-serial-port

Francesco Paissan.

Glad to heare you figured it out! Thanks for letting us know!

I believe I have the same issue.

I cannot apply the fix however as the current SD-image (Jessie) doesn’t have a “/etc/inittab” file.

I wonder if there are other serial on/off settings that need to be applied to the current build if using a BrickPi? I don’t know/understand enough about how the OS works to start guessing myself.

I will try and test an older SD image tonight so I can apply that fix.

Hi Tim, if you’re using our Jessie Image, we just discovered the problem last night and sent an update. All you need to do is run the update software on the desktop and it should fix this for you. Sorry about the problem!

The problem, by the way, was that we were missing

“init_uart_clock=32000000” in /boot/config.txt

We fixed this issue in this pull: https://github.com/DexterInd/Raspbian_For_Robots/commit/386ca8b93db2b53cbb677e923c0593987a2ec202