[SOLVED] Can't detect GrovePi on Raspberry Pi 4

Hello I’m a student and want to get the GrovePi hat working on a Pi4. I’ve tried to follow this setup guide but after i run “sudo i2cdetect -y 1” I get the following.
Capture

I also ran the troubleshooter.

log.txt (3.0 KB)

Solution TLDR:
I used the image from cyclicalobsessive in this post and followed the detailed setup guide as linked above.

2 Likes

First:

What operating system are you using on what version of the Pi-4?

Second:
Did you remember to turn on i2c by running raspi-config?
sudo raspi-config from within a terminal window.

Select “Interfaces” and make sure SPI and i2c are turned on.

Then give it another try and let us know what happened.

1 Like

I just enabled SPI and rebooted but no luck. I2C was enabled and I used the Raspbian image from The Raspberry Pi site because the expirimental build didn’t boot for me.

Version:
PRETTY_NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)”
NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“11”
VERSION=“11 (bullseye)”
VERSION_CODENAME=bullseye
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL=“http://www.raspbian.org/
SUPPORT_URL=“RaspbianForums - Raspbian
BUG_REPORT_URL=“RaspbianBugs - Raspbian

1 Like

That is probably the problem - Try a prior PiOS Buster image such as:

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_armhf/images/raspios_armhf-2021-05-28/2021-05-07-raspios-buster-armhf.zip

But actually, I know nothing about GrovePi or RPi4 - so disregard this post.

2 Likes

THAT is very odd.

If you were me and I was you, I would drop everything and solve this problem. Raspbian for Robots (Buster), should boot. If it doesn’t there are other things going on that need to be examined. . . .

I have a Raspberry Pi-4, 4 gig, and that image, (literally, that image), has been booting for me all day long.

BTW, WHICH Raspberry Pi-4 do you have? There are reports of things not working on the Raspberry Pi-4, 8 gig versions that go beyond simply booting.  I don’t have one so I cannot test with it.

Do you have any other Raspberry Pi hardware, (like a Pi-3) that you can try?

2 Likes

This is the screen I get when I try to boot the expirimental build.

I will try the solution cyclicalobsessive proposed as above and see how that works.

2 Likes

BTW, did you reboot after installing the GrovePi software? The install changes some of the boot parameters (such as enabling I2C ) in cmdline.txt which will not take effect until a reboot.

2 Likes

Yes I have rebooted every time I changed something.

2 Likes

I am going to download this image and try it on my own 'bot.

This will take a few moments - “please stand by. . .” :wink:

I’m going to flash a fresh SD card, plug it in, and try to find out what the problem is.

2 Likes

@cyclicalobsessive

It looks like we’re both getting a “crash” :wink: course on the GrovePi!

2 Likes

Well at least it’s consistent, I’m setting up using the older Buster PiOS I’ll come back on you for that.

2 Likes

AND they all seem to be Pi4 as you predicted!

1 Like

You can try it, but if the release date is earlier than 2019/12/12, it may not work either.

You work your end, I’ll work mine, and we’ll meet in the middle.

2 Likes

I have great news, I downloaded the image from cyclicalobsessive and followed the setup guide and it worked like a charm.

The blinking light test also works.

2 Likes

Cool beenies!

Total props for @cyclicalobsessive!!

I still want to know what the deal with Raspbian for Robots is. . . .

2 Likes

Yeah I have absolutely no clue maybe a staff member can explain. Anyways thank you @cyclicalobsessive and @jimrh for your help!

2 Likes

On a similar topic. . . .

I don’t know what the deal here is, but - for absolute CENTURIES the GrovePi was a rusty derelict hulk that nobody talked about.

Now, in the last six months or so, GrovePi has come outta the woodwork!  So, what’s happening?  Has someone started teaching a Robots101 course somewhere that has a hard dependency on the GrovePi?

Not that I’m complaining mind you. . . .

1 Like

What I know is that my school suddenly bought a lot of Raspi’s with sensors for students to use for IoT innovations. I’ve also read on a lot of stores where teachers are giving reviews with the same story. That may be an explanation.

2 Likes

Cool!

Now, all we have to do is get 'em using the GoPiGo-3!!

This is “Charlie” - my GoPiGo-3 'bot. The thing on his back is a 500gb SSD and the dip switches allow me to select which O/S of several to boot.  The last dip switch, (#5) lets me choose either a 32 bit or 64 bit kernel.

Lots of fun with this beastie.

@cyclicalobsessive and @KeithW have been Boldly Going where No GoPiGo Has Gone Before - using ROS, LIDAR, and all kinds of fancy goodies to turn their 'bots into MONSTER 'BOTS!!

We have a lot of fun here.  Not to mention that us poor sods can use all the GrovePi help we can get!  Especially from people who are actually USING it. . . :man_facepalming:
:wink:

3 Likes

I just tried it and it worked wonderfully on my system.

One thing you may want to try is updating the Rasberry Pi-4’s internal firmware. Yours may be a bit old.

There’s a trick with the Raspberry Pi Imager that can be used to update firmware - instead of installing an operating system, you tell it you want system tools and it will help with firmware updates.

If you get a free breath, try it and see what happens.

3 Likes