USB port probably not working

Hi,
I have received starter kit and opened up.
We were excited about this little beauty but then faced to the problem not being able to connect BrickPi to computer.

I found that mouse and keyboard not working (not detected) and also Mac cannot detect wifi or ethernet connection. I can see the red light, green light flashing, then stops. As I cannot use mouse and keyboard, nothing I can do even cannot shut the Brick Pi.

Would you be able to help me how to fix this problem, please?

Shizu,

Sure, we can try at least!

So you’ve gotten a BrickPi starter kit. It’s unclear though from your post: are you trying to set it up as a computer (are you attaching a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to the Pi)?

Or are you trying to connect to the Pi using your Mac?

Have you seen these two links:

http://www.dexterindustries.com/BrickPi/getting-started/using-the-pi/

http://www.dexterindustries.com/BrickPi/getting-started/using-the-pi/connect-to-your-raspberry-pi-from-a-mac/

?

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply.
I finally turned them up and connected to mac! Felt like climbing huge mountain to get here!

Now I found higher hurdles! I am trying bookreader2 so installing python, python picamera but not success. It says ‘Something wicked happened resolving’ and it stuck at 6% [connecting to mirrordirector.raspbian.org].
Regards,

I finally turned them up and connected to mac! Felt like climbing huge mountain to get here!

Glad you got it to work. I plan on writing better documentation for the Mac. We’re sorry it was so painful.

Now I found higher hurdles! I am trying bookreader2 so installing python, python picamera but not success. It says ‘Something wicked happened resolving’ and it stuck at 6% [connecting to mirrordirector.raspbian.org]. Regards,

This sounds like an issue with your connectivity to the network, not an issue specific to the Mac or the BrickPi.

If you run
ifconfig
on the command line, are you sure you’re connected to the internet?

Or if you run
ping google.com
Does it indicate you’re connected?

Thanks for your reply, John.
It shows Local Loopback and Ethernet, errors: 0.
When I run ping google, it says unknown host.
Do you have any idea what’s wrong?

Also I have tested alsa, screen shows like it’s running but cannot hear the sound. I went through here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting and checked sound card, it says cannot find any working access method. I was wondering whether I am following the right way?

Sorry John, just found it.
I made mistake of l as 1.
It shows List of Playback Hardare devices
card 0: ALSA device 0: bcm2835 ALSA
Subdevices 8/8

I tried with the other one (handy to have two!) and it works well. I have installed espeak and picamera and both working.
It looks like first one I have tried has something wrong with wifi network connection. How I can reset it?

Hi John,
I tried command to fix wifi connection and now it’s fixed!

Thanks for your support and getting close to the bookreader into action!

Hey Shizu, glad to hear that it went well!

Help me again, please!
I have done all the installation for bookreader, they are working and the next thing is they stop boosting!

They start up, checking the list of thing and then go black screen. Tried command but nothing happens.

As I have purchased two of brickpi so I thought maybe card failure so I swapped card with another but both do the same.

I will try cards on my computer when I get card reader but do you have any idea that is causing?
Cheers,