VNC Connection

Hi,
Got BrickPi for my son for Xmas. I am an economist, not much clue in programming or computers like Raspberry etc. Have therefore a question. I am not able to connect our Brick Pi with my laptop via VNC Viewer… My BrickPi is charged, SD card loaded with command line modified; local area connection settings double-checked etc. But I still can not connect to BrickPi. Any idea where I could go wrong?
Regards,
Jakub from Poland

Hey redface, moved your post because it deserved its own thread.

First you’re saying “loaded with command line modified”. Are you using our BrickPi image, or are you using Debian, modified as shown on our getting started page?

I don’t think that Debian typically comes loaded with VNC, or some of the other modifications we made on the brickPi image, that help with getting started.

So where did you start, and what have you done?

Hi,
I am using BrickPi image and have modified the command line file to include IP address, as advised in your video.
Then I connected my BrickPi to a laptop with a network cable. Looks like my Brick does recognise it, as the little leds do flash. But I am not able to connect to it from my laptop using VNC.
Thx and cheers,
Redface/Jakub

Hey Jakub,
The command line file should have no returns in it: it should be all one line.
Are you able to ping the IP number from your computer, or are you able to login with SSH to the Raspberry Pi?

Hey,
I think the command line contains no returns…
Have unfortunately a bit less clue what you mean in your second question. What command should I use to ping? or how do I use SSH? Sorry, I am very blond in this field :wink:

Sorry for the slow response redface. SSH and VNC are explained here:

http://www.dexterindustries.com/BrickPi/getting-started/5-controlling-the-brickpi/

Sorry about the command line confusion. I mean to use the PC command line (should have asked earlier: you’re using a PC or mac?). With a PC you would open the command prompt, and type "ping " and if they’re on the same network, you would see a response.

Hey guys, if you’re still having trouble connecting, can I recommend a small upgrade? We just put out an updated image. Details so far are here:

http://www.dexterindustries.com/forum/?topic=brickpi-image-update-2014-01

The big advantage of this is that you can take your RPi, and simply plug it into the network you’re on, or plug it in by ethernet to your computer. If you have Bonjour installed (most computers do because they have iTunes on them), you can connect by simply typing in “raspberrypi.local” where you have an IP address.

For example, you can physically connect as described above. Then, using VNC, you can login to your pi using the address raspberrypi.local:1 . No static IP’s and hopefully fewer troubles.