What can Pi5 GoPiGo3 Expect?

If you solve the at least 5v 3A or 5A desired power issue, and the stacking difficulty with a Pi5 fan/cooler:

MY Pi5 PERFORMANCE TESTS

Raspberry Pi5 8GB mounted in official Pi5 case with fan

• Python3 floating point addition 0.000973ms - 3.5x faster than Pi4
  • Python3 integer addition 0.000657ms - 3.8x faster than Pi4
  • Four CPU Stress for 5 minutes: No throttling, 70.3C temp
  • ROS 2 (Docker containerized) executes 3x faster than Pi4

MY HUMBLE DAVE Pi4 2GB PERFORMANCE TESTS

Raspberry Pi4 2GB sandwiched to GoPiGo3, small heatsink, no fan

• Python3 floating point addition 0.000280ms - 3.5x slower than Pi5

• Python3 integer addition 0.000174ms - 3.8x slower than Pi5

• Four CPU Stress for 5 minutes:
    1:30 Temperature throttling
    2:30 Voltage throttling occurred, temperature throttled
    Max temp: 85.2C End temp: 83.7C

2 Likes

What heat sink are you using that fits between the Raspi 4 and the reg GoPiGo3 board? Also, might it be possible to fit a small heat with fan - not sure if this is too big but something like the following?

2 Likes

“Old GoPiGo3” Carl has 5mm heatsink:

“New GoPiGo3” with cap moved can support a larger heatsink even than I have in Dave:

This is @Jimrh solution to putting a fan on the GoPiGo3 - I think his was an “Old GoPiGo3”, so it might go easier with a “New GoPiGo3”

Here is the Pi5 cooler:

3 Likes

Edited former post with cooler info

2 Likes

Yup.

I had to remove and reposition the large cap to match the new rev GPG boards.  However the large inductor for the switching supply is still in the way.  I had to trim a few millimeters off the top edges of the fan blades for it to fit and work.

I have a new rev GPG board (for Charline) that I plan to experiment with, using things like the 8gig Pi-4, a first generation Jetson Nano, and the Pi-5.

We will see.

It would be absolutely bodacious if I can install the GPG-3 libraries on the Nano!  Maybe even ROS? (!!)

1 Like