Wow! Huge SD cards!

I just received an e-mail from Micro Center advertising Samsung 256 gig and Micro Center branded 512 gig SD cards!

Note that, (AFAIK), neither of these cards are application rated, (see update below), so they won’t be blazingly fast, but they are HUGE - and might be useful if you’re doing dev work, or want to multi-boot.  (I’m working on the multi-boot problem using PINN, and I hope to have some PINNified images of the Dexter/MR software soon.)

Update:
See the link at the very bottom of this post.

One caveat:
If you use something like Etcher to flash an image to the card, it will attempt to fill the entire card with the image - and as a consequence it will take a LONG TIME to flash.  If possible try to find another flashing method that doesn’t try to fill the card, and then use something like GParted (or raspi-config), to expand the last partition.

Update:
Looking more carefully, I discovered that the Micro Center branded card IS APPLICATION RATED at A1, so it will have vastly improved R/W speed for random read/writes AND likely supports TRIM!  Since the Micro Center card is about $20 more than the half-size, not application rated Samsung card, that’s the one I would go with - unless you’re doing serialized data-logging or video.

Links:
Samsung 256 gig

Micro Center 512 gig

2 Likes

I amazing how fast the prices have fallen. I’ve had a lot of luck with the Micro Center branded micro-SD cards.
/K

1 Like

I’ve had stellar results with their cards too.

Though I can’t prove it, I suspect that they are SanDisk or Toshiba cards that have been rebranded.

Their USB drives are good too.

Now all we need is SSD class performance and wear-leveling on SD cards!

1 Like

Both would be good. As far as wear leveling goes, at least SD cards are easy to replace. Unlike Tesla Flash Memory .
/K

1 Like

Except that by the time you know you need to replace it, it’s too late. . .
:roll_eyes:  :sob: picnic

1 Like

I think there are ways to look for errors. I should probably implement some kind of preventative maintenance (PM) program - especially if I start using my bot more heavily. Right now it’s really a weekend project kind of thing, so I suspect it’s a long way from problems.
/K

1 Like